L2500 tribute neck issue

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

No links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2500 tribute neck issue

Postby biguglyman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:25 am

Just picked up a NOS 2018 L2500 Tribute that was listed as "B" stock off a store on Reverb. I love the blueburst finish and the blem is not noticeable. The store I bought it from didn't even attempt to set it up before they shipped it. I've been playing bass for almost 50 years and doing my own repairs and setup for at least 20 of those years so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Well, it is...lol. I can't seem to get any relief in the neck. When it arrived, the truss rod was very tight and there was actually a little backbow to the neck. I've never owned a bass with a dual action truss rod. I've loosened and loosened it and the neck is now pretty much flat. Am I correct in assuming I'll have to go even further to introduce some relief? I'm pretty heavy-handed so a flat neck doesn't work well for me. Just trying to stop the fret buzz. I really don't want to return it as that would be a PITA and I really like everything else about the bass. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
biguglyman

Re: L2500 tribute neck issue

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am

A double-action trussrod is called double action because it can impart either backbow or forward bow. In almost all cases, backbow is required to counteract string tension. In fact, I can't think of a time when forward bow would be needed.

As you look down the neck from the headstock, tightening the trussrod adjuster to the right should impart backbow. Insert your 4mm wrench and turn it a little to the right, then allow the bass to settle in a bit. A little goes a long way. Repeat until you get the relief you need. Note that you may need to add some tilt.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: L2500 tribute neck issue

Postby biguglyman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ken. I'm actually looking to ADD relief (forward bow). I need that little bit of curve to the neck. I'll keep loosening (turning counter-clockwise) until it happens. The strings I use aren't real high tension either so that may be part of the issue. I'll keep plugging away at it. It's worth it to me to get this playable myself. Returning it would be a major pain and other than the neck issue I really like this bass.

biguglyman
biguglyman

Return to G&L Basses