JB-5--Waiting Patiently....kinda

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

JB-5--Waiting Patiently....kinda

Postby ch willie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 am

Hi. I'm glad to have found the forum. I'm still getting to get familiar with the timbre here, and I don't know much about G&Ls. I look forward to learning from you all.

About 6 weeks ago, I ordered a leftyJB-5, clear red, maple fb, quarter sawn maple neck, stainless steel frets--stunned at the choices I had for customization, having been a Ric / Fender player for years and a lefty whose choices are terribly limited.

I've been so good, put it in the back of my mind. Now, I have edged into a slight obsession with it, eager for it to get here. I read somewhere (on this forum?) that G&L is taking up to 16 weeks to get one made. Covid--I understand and am not impatient with G&L or my dealer. I wish I could stuff it back in my mind, but sometimes the drip in the sink turns into a flood, and my brain is drowning in my obsession.

Uh, that means I want it BAD, and I want it NOW. ha ha. I am going to have a long talk with myself.
ch willie

Re: JB-5--Waiting Patiently....kinda

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 am

ch willie wrote:Uh, that means I want it BAD, and I want it NOW. ha ha. I am going to have a long talk with myself.

GAS is a terrible thing. Hope that talk goes well. :mrgreen:

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ricky Rioli » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am

ch willie wrote:About 6 weeks ago, I ordered

"It's been seven hours and fiftynine days....It's been so lonely without you here, like a bird without a song....I went to the doctor guess what he told me, guess what he told me, he said boy you better try to have fun."

Yeah, me too, eight weeks and three days. So I'm halfway through, right? :?
Ricky Rioli

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Heh...

You guys think we ought to have an "Anguish" thread?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jfh4242 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Cue Tom Petty: "The waiiiiiiiiiting is the hardest part..."

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby jglunt2112 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am

I've found that the folks on this forum are the best of any forum I've ever belonged to. They're very knowledgeable and generous with sharing their experiences and very dedicated to G&L basses. G&Ls are truly excellent instruments, but they can be a different breed of cat, so it's good to have this forum here.

I, too, am waiting for a bass, but mine is one I own, a 2007 SB2. It was a pawn shop find through Reverb, and I've had neck issues with it from the start. I finally decided a new neck was the only way and was told by G&L the turnaround on that was currently about 2-3 weeks. Today is four weeks since they've had the bass and still no call. So far, I'm OK with that. I'm hoping their delays are because business is booming. They truly have good products, but surviving this pandemic for any business is tricky. Good luck with the JB5...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby Ricky Rioli » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 am

Yesterday I was reading that a MusicMan LE (the Cliff Williams replica) was being delayed because they were waiting for just one tiny thing - I expect supply chains are in a bit of a mess, creating all kinds of little hold ups. Eg here in the UK Daddario themselves have run out of some individual strings. And if G&L are benefitting from the same wave that Fender have enjoyed, then yes business will be booming. It's no coincidence that it's in 2020 that I've finally been doing my shopping. So I'm not impatient, and have an instrument to practice on in the meanwhile.

But still.... :D

In the meanwhile, my daydreams have decided I also need a Kiloton, a JB and an L-2000 :mrgreen: Right.
Ricky Rioli

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Go read the Darrin Huff thread on talkbass. You'll feel better about waiting a few months for something you know you're going to get... :lol:
TDR1138

Postby ch willie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm

You know, I'm eager, but the time they need to make it is absolutely understandable And as a lefty, I am grateful to G&L for all the options they offer me and all my lefty brothers and sisters. I've always played Fenders, but if this bass is as good as I'm pretty sure it will be, I'll be buying G&L only. What a great guitar company.
ch willie

Return to G&L Basses