Front pickup issue

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Front pickup issue

Postby Burn4130 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi there I have a Us l 2500 Bass. It’s pretty new only a few months old. I’m having a problem with my front pick up. If I switch the pickup to series it sounds thin. It’s almost sounds single coil. It used to sound like a super P Bass. If I tap the pickups polls with a screw driver it also sounds more thin than the bridge pickup. Also it the Bass control doesn’t seem to effect the neck pick up. I don’t think the polls closest to the neck are working only the toward the bridge. On the neck pick up. Any ideas what’s wrong and how to fix it?
Burn4130

Re: Front pickup issue

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Burn4130 wrote:Hi there I have a Us l 2500 Bass. It’s pretty new only a few months old. I’m having a problem with my front pick up. If I switch the pickup to series it sounds thin. It’s almost sounds single coil. It used to sound like a super P Bass. If I tap the pickups polls with a screw driver it also sounds more thin than the bridge pickup. Also it the Bass control doesn’t seem to effect the neck pick up. I don’t think the polls closest to the neck are working only the toward the bridge. On the neck pick up. Any ideas what’s wrong and how to fix it?

Standard Disclaimer:
I don't have your bass in front of me on my bench, so it's impossible to tell with any accuracy what is going on in there. Anything I say here is just educated guesswork that is worth every penny you paid.

This has the sound of a bass that someone attempted to mod and the process went very badly. If this is the case, my recommendation would be to get a wiring diagram, take everything apart, and put it back together correctly. If you're handy with a low wattage soldering iron and comfortable working on small point to point circuits you can probably do this. If not, take the bass and a wiring diagram to a good bass tech (preferably one familiar with G&L basses) and have them do it. You could also contact G&L repairs and see if they can take it on. 714-897-6766 x156 or email.

If the bass is new and you are the original owner with a receipt, you should contact the selling dealer for a warranty repair.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Burn4130 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Ok thanks Ken I am the original owner. It looks like I bought it 10/29/19. The wiring all looks good and on par with the diagram. Thanks for that. I can’t get hold of the person I purchased from. I bought it new off eBay. So who knows I guess.It won’t let me pull the sale back up to see who the seller is. I live in Page Az is kinda in the middle of no where. So I might try to send it to G&L. I was playing the bass if I switch it forward to series in the neck pickup position the bass controller knob has no effect. If I switch to Parallel all all is fine. Crazy thanks for your time.
Burn4130

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Burn4130 wrote:Ok thanks Ken I am the original owner. It looks like I bought it 10/29/19. The wiring all looks good and on par with the diagram. Thanks for that. I can’t get hold of the person I purchased from. I bought it new off eBay. So who knows I guess.It won’t let me pull the sale back up to see who the seller is. I live in Page Az is kinda in the middle of no where. So I might try to send it to G&L. I was playing the bass if I switch it forward to series in the neck pickup position the bass controller knob has no effect. If I switch to Parallel all all is fine. Crazy thanks for your time.

Something in there is mis-connected, and it's really hard to tell through the tangle of wires.

If you can't make arrangements through the selling dealer, then contact G&L Repairs using the contacts I provided above.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses