seeking Fullerton features in a Tribute bass

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere. Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

seeking Fullerton features in a Tribute bass

Postby fatherska » Sun May 05, 2019 10:47 am

Greetings all.

Let's just say that I have no need whatsoever for another bass. Yet, from time to time, I think of what qualities I'd seek if I were to get another bass.

Aware that a special-order bass might take weeks and weeks from the time I contact the shop to place the order 'til the moment the courier asks me to sign for its delivery, maybe sometimes I check the factory inventory for a bass that exemplifies what I'd get if I were to get another bass. In such a case, the bass would already have been made. I could start playing music on it much sooner.

Now, let's also say that, out of curiosity, I check eBay occasionally for the same purpose: to find a bass I'd like already made and ready for shipping.

The questions:

If I find a bass that appears to meet my criteria for buying and that bass happens to be a Tribute, rather than made-in-Fullerton, could I count on it to have:
* proper G&L tuning machines with tapered aluminium string posts?
* the same six-bolt neck attachment as if it were made in Fullerton?

I understand that I'd have to be mad even to think of changing how the neck is attached to the body. Yet, if a Tribute bass has other tuning machines, could it be a clean, simple swap to install proper G&L tuning machines with tapered aluminium string posts?
fatherska

Re: seeking Fullerton features in a Tribute bass

Postby Ken Baker » Sun May 05, 2019 12:11 pm

fatherska wrote:The questions:

If I find a bass that appears to meet my criteria for buying and that bass happens to be a Tribute, rather than made-in-Fullerton, could I count on it to have:
* proper G&L tuning machines with tapered aluminium string posts?

Historically, the Tribute tuners have been different than the USA tuners. This includes the bolt pattern. As of 5/5/2019 the webpage for the Tribute L-2000 (as an example) does NOT specify the tuners as "Ultra-Lite", while the page for the USA L-2000 does spec "Ultra-Lite" tuners.

* the same six-bolt neck attachment as if it were made in Fullerton?

So long as the Tribute you find on eBay is fairly modern, like no more than 4 or 5 years old, a USA neck (edit: of similar/same age) is essentially interchangeable. This because of common CNC programming.

I understand that I'd have to be mad even to think of changing how the neck is attached to the body. Yet, if a Tribute bass has other tuning machines, could it be a clean, simple swap to install proper G&L tuning machines with tapered aluminium string posts?

Unknown. When Fullerton basses used Schaller or Hipshot tuners, the post ferrule size and the back plate was different from the Tributes. Now that Schaller has basically abandoned G&L for OEM tuners and Hipshot has no interest in making them, the current Ping Well tuners used on the USA basses may or may not be compatible with the Tributes.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: seeking Fullerton features in a Tribute bass

Postby fatherska » Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Okay. Good to know.

It'd be great if somebody would post photos here of current Fullerton and current Tribute basses, focused on a good side view of both sets of tuning machines and a good rear view of both neck-body joints. Wouldn't it?
fatherska

Return to G&L Basses