Hum

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere. Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

Re: Hum

Postby TDR1138 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am

Glad you got it sorted out. Did you also jumper from the pot casing to the jack sleeve terminal? I do agree that the shielding foil looks like it could be a problem at some point (if it's not already) and would really encourage a soldered wire to make sure things were going to be reliable.
TDR1138

Postby deltafred » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:10 am

TDR1138 wrote:Glad you got it sorted out. Did you also jumper from the pot casing to the jack sleeve terminal?

On my SB-2 Tribute there is very thin coax, which looks like connecting wire at first glance, from the tone pot to the jack. I suspect that this is the same on John's.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby jfh4242 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:58 am

Good morning Gents!

I am ashamed to say that the gray wire going to the output jack has a weird other wire coming from it. I've learned that this bit of wire was once connected to the output jack, which took care of the shielding. Once we soldered it back on, the hum was gone. Didn't have to play with the tin foil at all. There doesn't appear to be a need for that.

If I had seen this from the beginning, I would have told you guys about it and you would have diagnosed it right there, I'm sure.

Anyways, I learned a lot. And I think next time, I will be able to do it myself.

Thanks again for your help!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Previous

Return to G&L Basses