The new Tribute Series Kiloton: Power to the People.

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere. Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

The new Tribute Series Kiloton: Power to the People.

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am

G&L wrote:The verdict became clear so fast it would have put that wry grin on Leo's face: the Made-in-Fullerton Kiloton™ is a smash-hit. Demand from players and dealers alike for a Tribute® Series version thundered with the same visceral punch as the bass itself delivers. And the moment of impact is now: meet the new G&L® Tribute Series Kiloton.

Just like its Made-in-Fullerton brother, the Tribute Series Kiloton features the most comfortable bass body ever created by Leo Fender. It's compact and pure, with every curve and contour perfectly executed. The Tribute Series Kiloton delivers maximum firepower from its single G&L Magnetic Field Design humbucker, planted right in the sweet spot specified by Leo Fender back when the G&L factory was still called CLF™ Research.

The Tribute Series Kiloton's single Made-in-Fullerton MFD ‘bucker fires without the aid of a preamp, while a 3-position series/split/parallel toggle harnesses the coils' power. Simple volume and tone controls are devastatingly effective, revealing a wide range of textures Leo's MFD bucker is famous for. What's more, the Tribute Series Kiloton is armed with a Leo Fender-designed Saddle-Lock™ bridge to transfer all the energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument.

The first Tribute Series Kiloton color is now shipping!

• Alpine White on basswood, 3-ply white pickguard, rosewood fingerboard
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: The new Tribute Series Kiloton: Power to the People.

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am

So, I know the G&L announcement/web site says Olympic White w/ Rosewood, but there's a "Sonic Blue" with maple on eBay right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Ser ... 2587342516

Sonic Blue Tribute Kiloton.jpg
Sonic Blue Tribute Kiloton.jpg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 369 times

Tribute Kiloton Headstock.jpg
Tribute Kiloton Headstock.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 369 times
TDR1138

Postby satsamel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm definitely getting the Kiloton Tribute model. I recently purchased a Stingray and I thought it was wired in series. I like the series tone, but found out after purchasing it that it wired in parallel. I was very disappointed and since it was a used Stingray I could not return it. The Kiloton is the answer. The Kiloton has the same setup format as a Stingray, but offers the options of parallel, single-coil, and series. The Kiloton doesn't have a preamp, but from what I've heard the output from the MFD pickups are powerful with no need for a preamp.

Has anyone purchased a Kiloton Tribute model? I would like to know how it sounds compared to the Kiloton USA model.

Does anyone know if G&L intends on providing more color choices for the Kiloton Tribute model?

Any news on a Kiloton Tribute 5 string model?
satsamel

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:37 am

satsamel wrote:I'm definitely getting the Kiloton Tribute model. I recently purchased a Stingray and I thought it was wired in series. I like the series tone, but found out after purchasing it that it wired in parallel. I was very disappointed and since it was a used Stingray I could not return it. The Kiloton is the answer. The Kiloton has the same setup format as a Stingray, but offers the options of parallel, single-coil, and series. The Kiloton doesn't have a preamp, but from what I've heard the output from the MFD pickups are powerful with no need for a preamp.

The comparison point between the Kiloton and the StingRay is pickup position. Other than that, they are two very different basses.

Yes, the MFD is a pretty hot pickup and can clip the input section of most amps. To start off, set the amp for an active bass and fine tune from there. Remember too, that just like any other passive bass, you'll want to keep cable length under 12 feet unless you have a device in your signal chain that has a low output impedance.

Has anyone purchased a Kiloton Tribute model? I would like to know how it sounds compared to the Kiloton USA model.

The Tribute's sound should be indistinguishable compared to the USA bass, allowing for differences in wood, necks, etc.

Does anyone know if G&L intends on providing more color choices for the Kiloton Tribute model?

What you see on the website is an indication of what they are importing, and even then there can be some variance as to availability. One of the reasons that the Tribute line is less expensive than the USA line is limited options. You can't choose body woods, fingerboards, or colors like you can the USA instruments.

Any news on a Kiloton Tribute 5 string model?

You'll know when we know. Watch the website.

As I am wont to do, here is a copy-paste from my email response to you last night:

Ken Baker wrote:You should have no neck stability issues with a 4 bolt neck. Lots of manufacturers, including G&L, use 4 bolt necks. In fact, G&L used to have 3 bolt necks that were only changed to 6 bolt because people had issues with Fender's 3 bolt necks. G&L's were/are pretty darned good. I have two of them and they are stellar.

The pickup used in the Tribute Kiloton is supposed to be USA made. As to how they sound, check this out:

viewtopic.php?p=15070#p15070

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Glazenn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm

As seen on ebay and the internet (but not on the G&L website), the current choice for the Kiloton Tribute 4 strings is between White/Rosewood fingerboard and Sonic Blue/Maple fingerboard.
Glazenn

Return to G&L Basses