M2000 Signal Breakthrough

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: M2000 Signal Breakthrough

Postby bigtone23 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 am

This is interesting.
I have a BOSS WL50 and it works perfectly with every active instrument I have hooked up to it. They all have the common TRS jack with the battery on the R.
However, I have never tried it with my El Toro, which has a really wacky and complicated output jack. I assume it's shorting the battery to the R.
I'll try it out with the BOSS and see what happens and report back here. Better to know now, before I show up to play...
bigtone23

Postby bigtone23 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:47 am

Tested the WL50 with the El Toro.
No issues. Works perfectly.
To keep it scientific, it was then compared it to my Squier 70s J5 (loaded with an EMG J5 set and BTS) which has a pretty robust output, much like the El Toro.
All is well and working great.
Whew! :D
bigtone23

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:28 am

Just when I thought I understood something about active basses, I'm bamboozled (a technical term I learned in high school) :shock:! I thought the way of activating the battery in an instrument with active electronics was by "shorting" the ring and sleeve connectors of the stereo (TRS) jack using the sleeve of a mono (TS) plug, thus completing the circuit. If you plug a TRS plug into a TRS jack, how does that battery circuit get completed? Have I misunderstood something I read here?
jglunt2112

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:49 am

Perhaps the BOSS WL50 transmitter internally shorts the ring and sleeve when plugged in? It does have a mini switch on it that gets depressed when plugged in fully. That might have something to do with it. I don't know for sure without a schematic.
bigtone23

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities