L2500 Pickup Wiring Color code -Single (outer coils) wiring

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

L2500 Pickup Wiring Color code -Single (outer coils) wiring

Postby olirm » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi, new poster, long time lurker, but let me know if this needs to go in a different sub-forum.

I am trying to find the equivalent wiring color guide for L2000/2500 pickups to match another install I did for pickups on another bass with different color wires.
I have two DPDT on/on/on toggles and I want them to control parallel/single (outer coils) / series switching for each pickup for this L2500 project I am restoring where someone added and extra toggle hole at one point.

This is what I think are each coil start colors based on this post (not sure though)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2822

White: north start - hot
Black : North end
Yellow: South start
Green: South end - ground

see pic below, but the diagram I am wanting to follow has
Black: Hot?
Green: Ground
White: ??
Red: ??

Trying to find what would be the equivalent color to use that diagram for the G&L pickups in he attached pic to get outer coils in single mode. Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Attachments
GL_wiringidea.JPG
GL_wiringidea.JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
olirm

Re: L2500 Pickup Wiring Color code -Single (outer coils) wir

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Check this out.

These are passive circuits for the L Series basses. The top two might be what you're after. The bottom circuit is from my L-2500 with an Aguilar preamp which is not shown. The other circuits are strictly passive, though a preamp could be grafted in.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: L2500 Pickup Wiring Color code -Single (outer coils) wir

Postby olirm » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanks Ken. That helps out for sure. Based on the diagram you posted I think here is what the equivalent colors would be translating the wiring color codes I have

G&L Wiring in my pic (Nordstrand)
White = Black - HOT
Green = Green - Ground
Yellow = Red
Black = White

At least that is what I am going to try. Testing with multi meter and non soldered connection testing on the bench that seems right but since I cannot hear the output I cannot tell if that splits the outer coils yet. I think it does but might have to wait until I can hear the output with tapping on the coils.

Thanks again.
olirm

Return to Paul's Technicalities