MFD pickup and Seymour Duncan active EQ

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

MFD pickup and Seymour Duncan active EQ

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:41 am

I might have inquired about this before, but if I did, I guess I never received an answer, so maybe nobody knows. You all are always very helpful, so anyway, here goes: Among other G&Ls, I have a Tribute LB-100 that's pretty darned good. I installed a Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO concentric active EQ in it, which I really like. I'm always looking for ways to improve my basses, so I'm considering dropping an MFD split coil into it in place of the alnico it has. (I do love those MFDs!) I still want to use the SD active EQ with the MFD. (1) Do you think the MFD will overdrive the active EQ? It doesn't in the L series, but the M-series pickups are different, at least in part to keep them from overdriving the preamp in that bass. Or so I've heard. (2) If it does overdrive it, can you think of any possible solutions to that? (3) Do you think I should just leave it alone and kick back and watch Looney Tunes cartoons on TV all day? Suppositions and wild guesses are OK. Thanks in advance!
jglunt2112

Re: MFD pickup and Seymour Duncan active EQ

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:57 pm

jglunt2112 wrote:I might have inquired about this before, but if I did, I guess I never received an answer, so maybe nobody knows. You all are always very helpful, so anyway, here goes: Among other G&Ls, I have a Tribute LB-100 that's pretty darned good. I installed a Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO concentric active EQ in it, which I really like. I'm always looking for ways to improve my basses, so I'm considering dropping an MFD split coil into it in place of the alnico it has. (I do love those MFDs!)

That should be, pretty much, a drop-in deal. Maybe a little light sanding on the pickguard. You'll end up with an SB-1!

I still want to use the SD active EQ with the MFD. (1) Do you think the MFD will overdrive the active EQ? It doesn't in the L series, but the M-series pickups are different, at least in part to keep them from overdriving the preamp in that bass. Or so I've heard.

It might over-drive the preamp if the volume is dimed. Should be okay, though you'll probably have some adjusting to do at the amp.

(2) If it does overdrive it, can you think of any possible solutions to that?

Uh, turn it down? Seriously, just back off the volume.

(3) Do you think I should just leave it alone and kick back and watch Looney Tunes cartoons on TV all day?

Looney Tunes are always an option, especially if it's all the old stuff from the 40s.

Suppositions and wild guesses are OK. Thanks in advance!

Our specialty!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Here's a final update on using an active EQ in a bass with an MFD pickup. I pulled the split coil MFD out of my SB-2 and dropped it into my Tribute LB-100. Last summer, I had installed a Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO active EQ into that bass. It has boost and cut on both treble and bass with a concentric pot, so this would be a good test. The pickguard took 5 minutes of sanding for a good fit. After that, the MFD bolted right up. I was worried the MFD might overdrive the EQ in the LB-100, but it didn't. And that amount of control makes it an LB-100 with superpowers. I've ordered a new MFD split coil for my SB-2.
jglunt2112

Postby bigtone23 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:25 am

Glad it worked out. I really like that particular Duncan EQ circuit. It's such a quick, easy and inexpensive way to expand a bass's tonality. 3 times I have replaced tone controls on passive basses with that concentric version. With the treble center frequency set to the lower setting (around 3K), it acts more or less like a passive tone control from the center detent to full cut.
bigtone23

Return to Paul's Technicalities