L2k jack help?

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

L2k jack help?

Postby Basstones » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 am

I need to replace the jack on my recently acquired L2K and from the diagrams I have found it looks like there are 3 wires soldered to the jack and mine has 2 is this a correct way to wire the jack? I have a G&L stereo jack on hand or will I need to get a mono jack? also going to shield the entire bass while I am at it. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Brian

pic of wiring:
L2000 wiring.jpg
L2000 wiring.jpg (134.92 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Basstones

Re: L2k jack help?

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 am

If you have a mono jack in there now you can safely say that the jack was replaced by a previous owner with the wrong jack. You need a stereo jack to be able to provide power switching for the preamp.

This is a good diagram to work from when replacing the jack. Here's a set of instructions to do the job.

Red from the battery goes to the preamp, black from the battery goes to the ring terminal on the jack, ground goes to the sleeve terminal on the jack, and the jack's tip connects to the active/passive switch.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Basstones » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks Ken!
Basstones

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Ken Baker wrote:If you have a mono jack in there now you can safely say that the jack was replaced by a previous owner with the wrong jack.

Just to comment on this, my '89 L-2000 has a mono jack from the factory. Kinda the ol' "never say never" with G&L...

image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm

TDR1138 wrote:Just to comment on this, my '89 L-2000 has a mono jack from the factory. Kinda the ol' "never say never" with G&L...

And here I sit thinking that this was just a Climax/L-150x thing.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 am

Ken Baker wrote:
TDR1138 wrote:Just to comment on this, my '89 L-2000 has a mono jack from the factory. Kinda the ol' "never say never" with G&L...

And here I sit thinking that this was just a Climax/L-150x thing.

Ken...

To really throw you for a loop, my '96 L-1500 had a stereo jack.
TDR1138

Postby Basstones » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am

Getting more interesting by the reply 8-)
Thanks for all the input really appreciated!
Brian
Basstones

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Jeez, Todd. Where'd you get all these oddballs?

Basstones wrote:Getting more interesting by the reply 8-)
Thanks for all the input really appreciated!
Brian

Just kind of an FYI:

The installation of a mono jack was common, if not normal, in the Climax and the L-150x basses until just a few years ago. If works just fine to get signal out of the bass and on to the amp, but does nothing to switch power for the onboard preamp. The preamp is always powered and slowly chewing through the battery. This is where the stereo jack comes into play.

If you recall from earlier, I mentioned that the red lead from the battery is connected to the preamp, the black lead from the battery is connected to the (stereo) jack's ring terminal, and a ground lead is connected to the jack's sleeve terminal. Every power circuit needs to be completed to work, and by completed I mean that we need to get voltage into whatever it is we're powering and get it back out. Your bass' circuitry is referenced to ground. To complete the power part of the circuit and turn the preamp on we need to connect the batteries black lead to ground. We do that by connecting the jack as we have discussed, then plugging in the mono patch cable that goes to your amp. The mono plug has no ring terminal. When plugged into our stereo jack, the ring terminal on the jack is connected to the sleeve (ground) terminal of the plug. This completes the circuit and turns on your preamp. Magic. And your battery budget is marginally improved.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Basstones » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 am

Great info Ken!
thanks again.
Brian
Basstones

Return to Paul's Technicalities