El Toro - Swapping G&L Preamps

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

El Toro - Swapping G&L Preamps

Postby beedubyuh » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

Hi, it's been said before, El Toro's are great. They are so good in passive mode, that you don't even need to use the preamp, which is nice, because the preamps are really trebly, hissy, etc. This is my experience, as well. I find the preamp unusable, but don't care because passive mode is more than enough. But, maybe I'm just getting cabin fever (winter in Chicago), I've ordered an L-series preamp from G&L and am going to swap it into my El Toro. Anyone have any thoughts/concerns in pairing that preamp with those pickups?

Thx!
Basses: G&L El Toro & SB-1 | Amps: Bergantino IP112, GK MB212, Markbass F500 | Effects: Compression (Keeley Bassist, Origin Effects Cali76), Chorus (Sansamp Bass Boost Chorus, Boss CE-2B), Distortion (collection of JohnK's madness)
beedubyuh

Re: El Toro - Swapping G&L Preamps

Postby Paul Gagon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:22 pm

beedubyuh wrote:Hi, it's been said before, El Toro's are great. They are so good in passive mode, that you don't even need to use the preamp, which is nice, because the preamps are really trebly, hissy, etc. This is my experience, as well. I find the preamp unusable, but don't care because passive mode is more than enough. But, maybe I'm just getting cabin fever (winter in Chicago), I've ordered an L-series preamp from G&L and am going to swap it into my El Toro. Anyone have any thoughts/concerns in pairing that preamp with those pickups?

Thx!

OK, it’s not that you can’t drop in other preamps into an El Toro bass (with a slight mod to the treble circuit) but before you do that, check out the following. I have a post in this section that is titled “El Toro Preamp Taming/R7 Mod” give that whole post a read and maybe give that mod a try. You might find that you can get what you’re looking for without putting in a different preamp. Let us all know how things go.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Yes, all I had to do was swap out a single resistor to make my El Toro have a similar treble response in both active and passive modes.
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm

If you didn't already find the thread...
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2574
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Return to Paul's Technicalities