Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby GeorgeB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 am

Paul, you didn't post a schematic but from the wiring diagram I gather you did not use the simplest arrangement for the PU config switches which would have been a simple single pole on/off/on toogle to short out one of the coils (or none) which also would have the advantage of a visual coherence beetwen switch setting and activated coils (switches would need to be rotated a bit to resemble more like a neck/middle/bridge thing, visually)

Anyway, to implement switchable OMG we just need to insert the OMG cap in the shunt path, actually two individual (and likely different) caps for each coil could be used, even combined with resistors for more subtle effect. Then a push-pull pot could short out these series elements. There are many possibilities...
Attachments
L2K+_OMG.gif
L2K+_OMG.gif (2.79 KiB) Viewed 141 times
GeorgeB
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby Paul Gagon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 am

b17krk wrote:The more I think about this mod the more I'm itching to give it a go, however the one thing niggling at the back of my mind is the necessity to add an extra switch. I'm not sure I feel comfortable drilling another hole in my L2K because it just sounds too permanent to me. That said I have been trying to envisage an alternative way of getting similar results, whilst at the same time reserving the ability to return it to it's original configuration should the need arise, and have come up with the following scenarios:

a. One option would be to remove the preamp and convert the bass to passive only. This way I could potentially utilise the Active/Passive switch as a coil selector for one of the pickups.

or...

b. Use a pull/push pot (volume pot) to switch between active and passive (thus losing the treble boost functionality). This way I could potentially utilise the Active/Passive switch as a coil selector for one of the pickups and keep the ability to use the preamp should I ever need to.

What I would really like to know is if any of this is remotely possible - and if so (as I'm a complete beginner when it comes to electronics) could somebody in the know help by providing a diagram of some description just to get me started please?

First off, let me just say I love your spirit of adventure and desire to give this a go. Both of your options are doable, and of the two, I would pick option B. I’m in the middle of a few projects right now but give me a moment and I’ll draw up a wiring diagram that shows your option B.

I really think your going to love the wide array of tones that open up when you add this switching mod. Again, thanks for being willing to explore the jungle that is bass modification.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby b17krk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you Paul, I really appreciate you taking the time to help out. You are a true gent!
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 owner
User avatar
b17krk
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 am
Location: Warwickshire, UK

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby Paul Gagon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 am

GeorgeB wrote:Paul, you didn't post a schematic but from the wiring diagram I gather you did not use the simplest arrangement for the PU config switches which would have been a simple single pole on/off/on toogle to short out one of the coils (or none) which also would have the advantage of a visual coherence beetwen switch setting and activated coils (switches would need to be rotated a bit to resemble more like a neck/middle/bridge thing, visually)

Anyway, to implement switchable OMG we just need to insert the OMG cap in the shunt path, actually two individual (and likely different) caps for each coil could be used, even combined with resistors for more subtle effect. Then a push-pull pot could short out these series elements. There are many possibilities...

That’s awesome George. Thanks for sharing this. It’s nice when we get the whole bass group adding their knowledge to these posts.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby Paul Gagon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:34 pm

b17krk wrote:Thank you Paul, I really appreciate you taking the time to help out. You are a true gent!


OK Kirk, here’s what I did. I modified the L-2000 Plus circuit so as to not add any extra holes to the bass. What you will be doing is replacing the current pickup coil configuration switch (4PDT) with a DPDT on/on/on switch. That’s the switch above the Treble control. Next, you will be replacing the volume control (250KA) with a 250KA pot that has a DPDT pull switch attached to it.

Basically you will be re-wiring the passive/preamp control switch to be the bridge pickup coil configuration switch. The preamp control option will now move to the pull switch on the volume control, more on that later. Hopefully this wiring diagram will be clear enough to do the entire mod without any issues. If you run across any problems, let me know. Anyway, here it is.

Image

As you look through this diagram you’ll see an asterisk by the Red wire from the preamp and a connection I labeled “A” off the pull switch on the Volume control. I wanted to add some notes to the drawing but it just took too much room so I’ll put the notes here in the document.

Notes: The pull switch on the Volume control has 2 positions. The bass is operating in passive mode when the Volume control knob is pushed down. To go into Preamp mode, you simply pull up on the volume knob. In preamp mode, the preamp is not in the Treble Boost mode unless the Red wire from the circuit board is connected to “A”. If you tie the Red wire off and leave it isolated, the bass is only in the Preamp On mode. If you wanted to have the preamp on with Treble Boost, you would simply connect the Red wire from the preamp board to the switch connection labeled “A”. Now, if you wanted to have a little Treble Boosting when you activated the preamp, you would connect the Red wire to the “A” connection through a resistor. In other words, you would solder the Red wire to one leg of a resistor and tie the other leg of the resistor to connection “A”. The larger the value of resistor, the less Treble Boost you will have. A resistor value of around 1K would give you a pretty good boost while a value of 100K would be pretty mild. Experiment around and see what resistance value you like.

So, there you have it. An L-2000 Plus without drilling a hole in your bass. Keep us all up to date on your adventure with the mod. And again, thanks for being willing to explore.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby b17krk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:12 am

Wow, this is awesome stuff, thank you so much Paul!

Regarding the note about the Treble Boost option, I have recently upgraded the original v1.2 preamp to a USA v1.3, which was shipped overseas directly from the G&L online store. In doing so, I removed the original 10k resistor previously wired "in-line" between the active/passive switch and "SW" on the v1.2 preamp - mainly because I was under the impression that it had since been incorporated into the v1.3 preamp as R11. Was I right to do this, and if so, will I still need to connect the Red wire to the "A" connection through an additional resistor in order to achieve a little treble boost?
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 owner
User avatar
b17krk
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 am
Location: Warwickshire, UK

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby Paul Gagon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:22 am

b17krk wrote:Wow, this is awesome stuff, thank you so much Paul!

Regarding the note about the Treble Boost option, I have recently upgraded the original v1.2 preamp to a USA v1.3, which was shipped overseas directly from the G&L online store. In doing so, I removed the original 10k resistor previously wired "in-line" between the active/passive switch and "SW" on the v1.2 preamp - mainly because I was under the impression that it had since been incorporated into the v1.3 preamp as R11. Was I right to do this, and if so, will I still need to connect the Red wire to the "A" connection through an additional resistor in order to achieve a little treble boost?


Hi Kirk,

Yes, you were right to remove the in line 10K resistor as it is now on the PCB as R11. Also, you will still need to connect the Red wire from the preamp board to connection “A” to achieve treble boosting. Have fun with the mod and report back on how it’s going.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 am

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron