Turning a Kiloton Bass into a Megaton

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: Turning a Kiloton Bass into a Megaton

Postby Paul Gagon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm

jcburn wrote:Time for a clip Paul!

I know. I got side tracked with a few other projects. I guess I need to focus on that again.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Eastcoasteddie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:29 pm

My idea of a Megaton would be to add another MFD in the L1000 (L2000 neck) position. The two pickups would probably be right up against each other.

Another idea for that would be to add an L2000 preamp. This, in my opinion, would kill. Too bad I don’t have the resources to do it.
Paul, want to give it a shot?
Eastcoasteddie

Postby Paul Gagon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Hey there Eastcoasteddie,

My resources ain’t what they use to be. Your idea sounds interesting, maybe some of the other players here would like to give it a whirl.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby bigtone23 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:31 am

Revisited the thread and am still very impressed with the final product!

The idea of another MFD is cool, I would be tempted to put it with the neck side coil at the 24th fret harmonic spot. That way with the neck side coils of both pickups activated in single coil mode, you could get some Ric like tones without having to buy an expensive Ric with that goofy Ric feel. :D :D
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities