L 1000 Schematic Times 2

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: L 1000 Schematic Times 2

Postby PieterG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Ken, Thanks so much for your patience and help. You can tell that I am quite busy and am only able to look at things when I can get to them. "White start" just means which side of the north coil the winding starts and it ends with the black wire. Green is the start of the South coil with it finishing with the yellow wire.
PieterG

Postby PieterG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

To add "insult to injury", I have a separate ground wire on the Kent Armstrongs.
PieterG

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 pm

PieterG wrote:To add "insult to injury", I have a separate ground wire on the Kent Armstrongs.

Let's assume that the Armstrong pickups have 5 leads; two for each coil plus the ground wire. This is like the G&L "K" model pickups. In this case, the G&L pickup would have the same pickup leads as I mentioned earlier (white-black and green-yellow) plus a blue ground lead.

The L Series "K" circuit can be found here. I don't know if this helps you directly, but it may provide some insight.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby PieterG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 am

Ken,THANK YOU so much for your guidance. Yes indeed that helped me a great deal. I have one pickup all wired up and it sounds amazing. I get only a few hours here and there to work on things but, I am excited to take this bass out to a gig this weekend. It sounds very very close to that L 1000 I tried out years ago. The Kent Armstrong "Claymores" are indeed hot and almost overdrive my headphone amp.
Again thanks for your patience!
Pete
PieterG

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities