Noisy toggles - G&L L2000 Tribute (Indonesia 2007)

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Noisy toggles - G&L L2000 Tribute (Indonesia 2007)

Postby luigir » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:32 am

Hi all!

I have recently acquired a G&L L2000 made in Indonesia in 2007 of which you can find a picture right here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32&start=470#p16992

It plays beautifully: it is really comfortable and it sounds beautifully. I have only one minor gripe with it: if I don't touch the strings or the bridge and I touch one or more toggle I hear a continuous noise coming from the amp.

Do you know what could cause this problem? Is it solvable?

Thanks in advance,

Luigi
luigir

Re: Noisy toggles - G&L L2000 Tribute (Indonesia 2007)

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am

luigir wrote:I have only one minor gripe with it: if I don't touch the strings or the bridge and I touch one or more toggle I hear a continuous noise coming from the amp.

This is most likely a problem with the bridge ground connection. More information here. It could also be a problem with the bass' ground connection at the jack, but the bridge ground is the first place I'd look.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby luigir » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. If its just a ground issue I guess it's not a biggie. I guess I'll bring it to a technician soon.

Luigi
luigir

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 am

The more I think about it, the more I think that it might not be bridge ground. It might be a grounding issue inside the cavity. The problem is where. You should have your tech give the bass a very thorough inspection with the focus on finding an open ground.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby luigir » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:16 am

Hi Ken,

thanks for the reply.

I have experimented a bit and I've found thata:
1. If I don't touch anything: there is no noise;
2. If I touch the bridge, the knobs or the strings: there is no noise;
3. If I touch one (or more) of the three toggles: a noise starts;
4. If I touch one (or more) of the three toggles AND the strings: there is no noise.

I'll bring it to the technician this or next week. I'll post his replies on this forum in order to help somebody with the same (minor) issue.

Luigi
luigir

Postby luigir » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi Ken,

Yesterday evening I've decided to take a look by myself before bringing it to the technician. I have opened the compartment and I've noticed some sawdust floating here and there around the board. I have blown it away and that's it: problem gone!

I guess that sometimes just a little bit of cleaning could be more than sufficient!

Anyhow, thanks for the support,

Luigi
luigir

Postby deltafred » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 am

I had a similar problem on my Indonesian L-2000 a few years back, it took some tracking down.

The cavity shielding ground relies upon the pot with the ground wires soldered on the back for it's connection. On mine, and I suspect it is the same on yours, the pot back was not making a good contact with the body so this ground connection was intermittent.

Touching the switches got rid of the buzz but not the knobs because they have a plastic bush in them so are insulated.

I added an extra ground wire that I trapped between the cavity shielding and the pot mounting boss and it has been fine since.

If yours went away when you took the control cover off and disturbed a few things my guess is that it will be back sometime. A bit of loose sawdust or polishing compound wouldn't give you that fault, but it is best to remove it as it could get into the pots and cause them to be scratchy.
deltafred
Global Mod

Return to Paul's Technicalities