1982 SB-2 Pickups

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

1982 SB-2 Pickups

Postby gilboucher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:02 pm

I own an SB-2 built at the end of December 1982. The neck pickup stopped working. I measured it and it is open. Is the pickup in the G&L store for the SB-1/SB-2 the same? Does anyone know who could rewind the pickup?
Thanks for any help
gilboucher

Re: 1982 SB-2 Pickups

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm

gilboucher wrote:I own an SB-2 built at the end of December 1982. The neck pickup stopped working. I measured it and it is open. Is the pickup in the G&L store for the SB-1/SB-2 the same?

Yup - same piece, whether split humbucker or single coil.

Does anyone know who could rewind the pickup?

You might have it looked at by a tech. It could be a break as simple as a broken lead. If the windings are involved, then check with a smaller pickup maker; Nordstrand, Lollar, etc. They may be able to do a rewind. Then again, it may be cheaper and easier to just replace it.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 pm

The one thing I would caution with the SB-2 pickups in the online store is that they’re only making one single coil wind now, whereas the original SB-2s had one RWRP. Not sure which orientation they’re making now, but you could end up with hum adding, not hum canceling when both are on.
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

TDR1138 wrote:The one thing I would caution with the SB-2 pickups in the online store is that they’re only making one single coil wind now, whereas the original SB-2s had one RWRP. Not sure which orientation they’re making now, but you could end up with hum adding, not hum canceling when both are on.

Good catch! Entirely slipped my feeble mind.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to Paul's Technicalities