El Toro Preamp taming/R7 mod?

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: El Toro Preamp taming/R7 mod?

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Paul Gagon wrote:Of all the basses that I wish would be re-issued, the G&L El Toro would be my #1. During my time at G&L
I was only ever given one chance to dig into a vintage unit. This is when I drew out this diagram......

Paul - out of curiosity, I lent G&L one of my EL Toros at one point back when I had my store because they were considering a reissue - I can't remember exactly when but I think it was around 2007-2008. It was sunburst, rosewood board, plain headstock and it had fairly large chip in the finish on the front of the body. I'm just wondering if that was the one that you drew the diagram from.
Flash

Postby Paul Gagon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Flash wrote:
Paul Gagon wrote:Of all the basses that I wish would be re-issued, the G&L El Toro would be my #1. During my time at G&L
I was only ever given one chance to dig into a vintage unit. This is when I drew out this diagram......

Paul - out of curiosity, I lent G&L one of my EL Toros at one point back when I had my store because they were considering a reissue - I can't remember exactly when but I think it was around 2007-2008. It was sunburst, rosewood board, plain headstock and it had fairly large chip in the finish on the front of the body. I'm just wondering if that was the one that you drew the diagram from.

Boy......I wish I could remember. I was thinking it was a red El Toro, but that was awhile ago. I really wish G&L would have done a reissue. The El Toro is still one of my all time favorite basses.
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 am

G&L certainly hit the nail on the head with the El Toro.
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities