Strings

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Strings

Postby Lowdownnotes » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:43 am

Paul,
Do you know what kind of strings comes with the JB5? I just received one yesterday from Bass Place. I'm not getting the growl I was hoping for. And in fact when I slap, the strings are clicking into pick ups.

thanks,
harrison
Lowdownnotes

Re: Strings

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 am

Welcome!

Lowdownnotes wrote:Do you know what kind of strings comes with the JB5? I just received one yesterday from Bass Place. I'm not getting the growl I was hoping for. And in fact when I slap, the strings are clicking into pick ups.

We just happen to have a thread that tells you the stock strings as well as what a lot of folks are using. Check it out.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Paul Gagon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 am

Lowdownnotes wrote:Paul,
Do you know what kind of strings comes with the JB5? I just received one yesterday from Bass Place. I'm not getting the growl I was hoping for. And in fact when I slap, the strings are clicking into pick ups.

thanks,
harrison

OK, I just checked with my connection at the factory and it's D'Addario strings all around. 45-105 for the 4 strings and 45-130 for the 5 strings. Ken has a great link in his comment that talks about the strings gauges and, as he said, things occasionally change from time to time. As of today, this is what we got.
Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Lowdownnotes » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 pm

thanks a lot.
Lowdownnotes

Return to Paul's Technicalities