Log or Linear

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Log or Linear

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:45 pm

I understand the difference between log (audio) taper pots and linear taper pots. The audio taper curve mimics the way that human ears register sound. The linear taper "curve" is just straight and linear from zero to the rated resistance.

Audio taper pots are typically used as volume controls, and elsewhere in passive circuits, because of that relationship to our ears. Linear taper pots are typically used when there is no need for that relationship.

So...

What would happen if we used a linear taper pot as a volume control? It's not going to damage anything in the circuit because the minimum and maximum resistance is the same as its audio taper counterpart, but just how goofy would it sound? Would its linear action be perceived as non-linear to our ears?

Yes, there is a reason I'm asking. There's an evil experiment rattling around in my head amongst the rocks.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Log or Linear

Postby TDR1138 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm

I've had a few basses where the volume (and tone) pots were linear. Just makes them function less smoothly. Like you turn a little with no real change, then just hits a point where the volume drops considerably very quickly, and then back to a barely noticeable change.
TDR1138

Postby Paul Gagon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 pm

TDR1138 wrote:I've had a few basses where the volume (and tone) pots were linear. Just makes them function less smoothly. Like you turn a little with no real change, then just hits a point where the volume drops considerably very quickly, and then back to a barely noticeable change.

I have experienced the same thing. Not a big fan of linear pots for volume or tone controls.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Paul Gagon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:19 am

Ken Baker wrote:Yes, there is a reason I'm asking. There's an evil experiment rattling around in my head amongst the rocks.

Ken...

OK....I'm totally curious now....what are you up to now and can I help?

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby BrentB » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 am

I agree. I've played a bass with such a volume knob (a Fender maybe), and I thought the volume was messed up.

Why turn a knob without any direct effect, just a waste of time, at least that's the way I see it.
BrentB

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:51 am

Paul Gagon wrote:OK....I'm totally curious now....what are you up to now and can I play?

Fixed that for you.... :D

Well, I need to find or make a control plate for an El Toro. Then, upon successful completion of that achievement, I'll need to find a BEQ3. And then....

I started this thread to do a couple things: (1) Stimulate a conversation and (2) See if anyone has played with a linear pot in a classic log pot location (volume, tone). I already knew it would sound kinda goofy; I just wanted to get a feel for how goofy.

But back to the task at hand. I'm thinking that the BEQ3 would be a nice match to the small humbuckers in the El Toro. and I'd be willing to play with it. It's just that the bass has such a great provenance that I will NOT screw it up by doing some non-reversible mod.

First order of business will be to get the existing plate off and make a tracing.

Edit to add: Paul, will the BEQ3 work on 9 volts?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Paul Gagon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
I'm thinking that the BEQ3 would be a nice match to the small humbuckers in the El Toro. and I'd be willing to play with it. It's just that the bass has such a great provenance that I will NOT screw it up by doing some non-reversible mod

Paul, will the BEQ3 work on 9 volts?

Ken...

Yes, it will work all the way down to around 6 volts. There won't be much headroom but it will work. However, in order to get the clean boosting from the EQ circuit I would keep it at 18 volts.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Paul Gagon wrote:However, in order to get the clean boosting from the EQ circuit I would keep it at 18 volts.

Hmm... That presents a potential problem. The existing battery box will only hold a single 9v battery. That means that the main cavity would need to accommodate all the usual stuff plus a battery. Will need to see how much room is in there.

Do you have dimensions for the BEQ3 board? Just the board itself, length X width.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Paul Gagon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:20 am

Ken Baker wrote:
Hmm... That presents a potential problem. The existing battery box will only hold a single 9v battery.
Do you have dimensions for the BEQ3 board? Just the board itself, length X width.

Ken...

The board I have here is the MBEQ3 and its 3 1/4" x 1 1/8". The BEQ3 is the same width (1 1/8") but, if memory serves me correctly, is 3" long. However, if you have a maximum size restriction for the circuit board, I can hand build you a smaller one.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 am

Paul Gagon wrote:The board I have here is the MBEQ3 and its 3 1/4" x 1 1/8". The BEQ3 is the same width (1 1/8") but, if memory serves me correctly, is 3" long. However, if you have a maximum size restriction for the circuit board, I can hand build you a smaller one.

Thanks!

I'll lift the plate later on and take a look.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Paul's Technicalities