The Taming of the Climax/L-1500 Bass

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: The Taming of the Climax/L-1500 Bass

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:48 am

Alan! Thanks for stopping by.

Chef wrote:Hey all;
I just bought maybe the last new 1505. It's a great bass, but as already noted, the treble boost in active mode is a bit much. And, I sure wish I had single coil as a choice on the coil tap toggle.
While maybe it's easy enough for someone with solder iron skills to do the resistor mode, and swap the coil tap switch for three way function; couldn't one buy a new, pre-wired L2XXX preamp from the G&L store, and then ignore the pickup selector mini-toggle, and maybe have an easier project? Or, is it really easier for a good tech to replace the coil tap switch and current preamp resistor?
Clearly, that person isn't me! But I have a friend here locally who builds tube amps and pedals for a living, who has read this thread and feels he could do the R mod. I hadn't talked to him about the coil tap. He's Byron Neighbors of Byron Amplification, if looking at his website would interest anyone.

I don't think I'd try to graft an L-2x00 preamp assembly into the L-150x. You'd have to mod out the pickup selector, which isn't too tough. The coil switch, while it would work, would leave anyone coming along later to wonder what was going on. I was initially going to say that the coil switching in the Kiloton circuit could be directly used, but the Kiloton has a "K" model pickup with the blue lead. You might also look at using one pickup of the coil switching from this passive circuit, with or without OMG.

As to mods to tame the treble: The R7 and treble cap mods are easy. Byron could probably change both in just a few minutes.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Chef » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 am

It takes a different pickup for the three coil selections?
I can’t read a schematic at all but I’m sure Byron can.
Chef

Postby Chef » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:28 am

Ack
Maybe I get it now
The L2xxx preamp in the G&L store would not have the K mode single coil option pre wired into it.
So
It’s DIY only.
Chef

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 am

Chef wrote:Ack
Maybe I get it now
The L2xxx preamp in the G&L store would not have the K mode single coil option pre wired into it.

Correct. Non-K only.

So it’s DIY only.

Yup. A little bit of this circuit, a little bit of that circuit, a touch of pixie dust, BASS!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Chef » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:11 am

Beautiful, thanks
Chef

Postby Chef » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:56 am

Hey Ken or Paul (or anyone!)

Can someone point me to a schematic that will show us how to wire the three way coil tap?
I guess for the L1000 as I think the dual pickup wiring is different because dual pickups ;--)
I don't think I want the OMG version for this bass...but as I recall that's adding a capacitor somewhere, and one could ignore that bit.
If I remember/understand that, which I may not as electronics are for sure not my long suit.

edit:
found the schematics page here. excellent.
https://www.bassesbyleo.com/gl_bbe_wiring_diagrams.html
Chef

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities