Retrofit your Tribute v1.3 Bass Preamp to US Spec

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: Retrofit your Tribute v1.3 Bass Preamp to US Spec

Postby bassfisher887 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 am

I'm in the process of performing this upgrade as well. I decided to go with the TL071 op-amp when I ordered the parts. The PCB has be stripped of all the old components and I'll be working on installing the new ones soon.

I've been trying to come up with a way to insulate the board when it goes back into the control cavity. The original foam wrap didn't survive the removal process. I'm thinking of a large shrink tube slipped over the PCB. Are there any other solutions?
bassfisher887

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 pm

bassfisher887 wrote:I've been trying to come up with a way to insulate the board when it goes back into the control cavity. The original foam wrap didn't survive the removal process. I'm thinking of a large shrink tube slipped over the PCB. Are there any other solutions?

Heat shrink ought to work. Just don't shrink it too much; just enough so it stays on.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi
I cut a section of bicycle tube. disconnect one side of the Pre leads, slide it on.
Karl Kaminski

Postby bassfisher887 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:17 pm

I completed the update of my Preamp. Though for C5, I was only able to source a 200V cap from Mouser instead of the recommended 100V. It's quite large. I have since gotten a 100V from DigiKey and I'm curious if its worth the while to swap it out. I'm thinking yes in order to get some space savings in the control cavity.

Updated Preamp
Pre-Amp 1.3 Updated (sm).jpg
Updated Preamp
Pre-Amp 1.3 Updated (sm).jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 794 times

Smaller Capacitor
Pre-Amp Small Cap (sm).jpg
Alt Cap
Pre-Amp Small Cap (sm).jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 794 times
bassfisher887

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities