Wunkay with both Series-Humbucking and OMG positions

Seeing as how we are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, it seemed like a good time to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What kind of windings are on the S500 pickup and why?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Wunkay with both Series-Humbucking and OMG positions

Postby derick » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 pm

This is definitely the shallow end of the pool, but I have completed my 1K mod to include both full series humbucking AND the "single coil bass boost" settings on one bass.

I installed a push-pull volume pot and routed the .1Uf capacitor (OMG cap) through the pull switch. I was a little concerned about wanting totally stock operation with the knob pushed in, sort of a Clark Kent mode, but then I realized that, in the unlikely event that a G&L expert were to play this bass, they could be easily educated. So, this is totally reversible and the 49th week of 1981 pot will live in the case. Not that I expect anyone to care, but I do. This gives me the ability to A/B OMG/Series, which as far as I know may be unique in the 1K world.

This shows me exactly what I expected to hear, that OMG mode actually has greater treble output, to my ears (and my wife's, who was not coached in any way) than series humbucking. So, "single coil with bass boost," Leo's quest to explore/enhance the signature Fender Bass single-coil sound, was successful in my mind. I will take this bass out and play it on stage in the next couple of weeks...

82OMGseriescavity.jpg
82OMGseriescavity.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 317 times
derick

Re: Wunkay with both Series-Humbucking and OMG positions

Postby daveplaysbass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 am

derick wrote:
This shows me exactly what I expected to hear, that OMG mode actually has greater treble output, to my ears (and my wife's, who was not coached in any way) than series humbucking. So, "single coil with bass boost," Leo's quest to explore/enhance the signature Fender Bass single-coil sound, was successful in my mind. I will take this bass out and play it on stage in the next couple of weeks...

82OMGseriescavity.jpg

Good info. I concur but I have never done it with a switch with true AB testing. There is a sizzle that exists with OMG that is not there in Series.

I have been avoiding the OMG series setting I modded on my Tribute because the bass cut pot is too scratchy. I think a couple dB of bass cut the OMG caps is a nice sound. Per another thread I am looking to switch out the bass cut with a 250K linear pot that should give more "usable" resolution for OMG tweaking.
daveplaysbass

Re: Wunkay with both Series-Humbucking and OMG positions

Postby derick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:47 pm

I agree completely about the utility and uniqueness of OMG, and I always roll off some bass when using it, just enough to clearly expose the single-coil definition. I will be interested to hear your experience with the different bass pot.

I don't intend to become the mad modder with a soldering iron, but I believe that I would be more likely to use the series humbucking mode than the parallel, which I frankly only use when the hum in single coil is loud enough that someone on stage mentions it, and mostly then only until the song starts and I switch back to single coil.

Would there be a simple way to make position 1 series humbucking while leaving positions 2 and 3 stock?
derick

Return to Paul's Technicalities