Tribby L2000 --> 2 x L1000 ?

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Tribby L2000 --> 2 x L1000 ?

Postby schafhalter » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:18 am

Hi,

I have a (maybe stupid) question: I am suffering from serious L1000 GAS. Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible o get hold of one here in the center of Europe for a reasonable price.

Hence my question: Since I am nearly 100% sure that the neck PU of the L2000 is in the same position as the PU of the L1000, I wondered if it is possible/feasible to convert an L2000 to a 2 x L1000? So, basically having the possibility to select the 2 PUs with the L1000's switching options?

Has anyone here ever tried to do that, does that sound reasonable, and/or can you estimate the effort of changing the electronics? Or do you think this is hilarious, because the Tribute L2000 platform is too good/bad/different to do that?

Many thanks in advance and sorry in case this question has already been asked before.

Br,
Matthias
schafhalter

Re: Tribby L2000 --> 2 x L1000 ?

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:21 pm

schafhalter wrote:Hence my question: Since I am nearly 100% sure that the neck PU of the L2000 is in the same position as the PU of the L1000...

It is.

...I wondered if it is possible/feasible to convert an L2000 to a 2 x L1000? So, basically having the possibility to select the 2 PUs with the L1000's switching options?

The top two circuits on this page separate out the coil switching so that each pickup has independently configurable Series/Single/Parallel modes. Both are shown with the .1µf OMG caps in place (at the coil switch), which are optional. The "old" version adds a small resistor to the treble control that helps maintain tone at low levels; the "modern" version omits this resistor.

Has anyone here ever tried to do that, does that sound reasonable, and/or can you estimate the effort of changing the electronics? Or do you think this is hilarious, because the Tribute L2000 platform is too good/bad/different to do that?

Yes, oh yes, medium level of difficulty.

Hilarious? No. Tributes are great platforms for mods.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby schafhalter » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks Ken, much appreciated!
schafhalter

Postby AlexBassDE » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:40 am

I am currently in the process of modding a L2K tribute to a Wunkay. I will post the story once complete. Tomorrow will be the final clear coat stage, then 4 week waiting time for the clear coat to fully cure. Then final sanding and buffing.

Here is an intermediate version:

AlexBassDE

Postby AlexBassDE » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:25 am

Ok, here are some crappy pictures of the almost final Wunkay Tribute:

Here are the twins - both were L2K Dlx Tributes:

You get the idea:

I adore this bass - although I just installed an on-on switch I really love the tones from it. I need to check my Mini-Wunkay (see other thread from me) why this longscale version sounds so much better.

This mod is highly recommended - in case you want a passive beast. :-D

schafhalter wrote:Hi

Edit: In case you are from Germany (just guessing from your nickname @schafhalter) you can pm me and we can continue the chat in german. ;-)
AlexBassDE

Return to Wunkay Wuvers