Newbie and neck issues

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Newbie and neck issues

Postby jaybee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:54 am

Hi Folks,
Quick intro as a newbie here.
I have managed to assemble a modest collection of 'vintage' basses, and have a '71 P, '77 Stingray in my bassesbyleo collection (my jazz is a Låkland :| )
I have been moving toward a G&L for some time but was heavily focused on an SB1. Anyhow, a little research done and I discover the Wunkay. So not an owner yet, but will be very soon, and I'm so excited. To think that there is a largely undiscovered (by joe 'guitar playing' public at least) Leo Bass, that he poured all of his remarkable ingenuity into, and that he released to launch his new company, that is still out there for reasonable $$$ is amazing...

I just wondered if i could get a low down of the much mentioned neck issues please?
I checked out the thread herein regarding 'the dreaded frett board split', but wondered if it is possible to get an idea of other neck issue, what to look out for or anything I should know before buying. As i live in Norway (and have never seen a Wunkay for sale here) i will be likely buying from the States and so can't try before i buy. Any info would be appreciated.

Also, when was the L1000 launched? Other than 1980, i can't find an actual release/launch date... Just curious.

Many thanks
Jay
jaybee

Re: Newbie and neck issues

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 pm

jaybee wrote:I just wondered if i could get a low down of the much mentioned neck issues please?

I checked out the thread herein regarding 'the dreaded frett board split', but wondered if it is possible to get an idea of other neck issue, what to look out for or anything I should know before buying. As i live in Norway (and have never seen a Wunkay for sale here) i will be likely buying from the States and so can't try before i buy. Any info would be appreciated.

The old-style trussrods did their job by placing a longitudinal load (squeeze) on the neck. The trussrod was curved and built into the neck. The adjuster would be tightened to add backbow which would cause the adjuster's washer to squeeze into the end grain of the neck wood right under the end of the fingerboard. Occasionally the underlying wood splits and/or crushes, so the trussrod gets adjusted even tighter. Repeat it enough and the fingerboard would blow out a bit between the nut and first fret. It didn't happen too often, but the people it happened to were vocal. The cause here is (1) weakened end grain of the neck and (2) players who don't stop and get something checked when they should. Note that this issue is not specific to L-1000 basses.

The only other semi-common issue is skijump, and for that I will refer you to this post. Just as with the splitting noted above, this can usually be mitigated with proper usage. In this case, proper tightening of the neck screws. This too is not specific to the L-1000 and can happen to pretty much any bolt-on neck that is shimmed or otherwise tilted.

Also, when was the L1000 launched? Other than 1980, i can't find an actual release/launch date... Just curious.

All I have is the launch year - 1980. More info here.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Newbie and neck issues

Postby jaybee » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:52 am

Kind of you to reply, many thanks. Some notches on the old knowledge stick :D
jaybee

Return to Wunkay Wuvers