More Early Manufacturing Changes

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

More Early Manufacturing Changes

Postby derick » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I finally got my aug/sept 1980 coil rewound. Here are two manufacturing changes that I notice on this neck and an Oct. 1980 neck that I have, as compared to 1981 necks...

The birthmark at the back headstock is missing on the 1980 necks...

headstock.jpg
headstock.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 219 times

So, this screw hole has been described as for the pin-routers, but it also mounted the neck to a radius sander to shape the fretboard. These functions had to be performed, so where is the birthmark on these early necks? I suggest under the D tuner:

birthmark.jpg
birthmark.jpg (181.97 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Also, the sidemarker dots are slightly smaller on the 1980 necks,

sidedots.jpg
1980 neck behind, 1981 in front
sidedots.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 219 times

It would be interesting to find out if both of these features were carried over from MusicMan production. I do know that the clay sidemarker dots on a pre-CBS Precision are placed between the maple and rosewood joint and practically disappear under certain colors of stage lighting....
derick

Return to Wunkay Wuvers