Mahogany

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Re: Mahogany

Postby gbrooding » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:05 pm

I tried to post pics, but the file is too big.... so, the neck pocket date is July 28, 1980 and the neck date is August 11, 1980. Not sure how early that is considered? It's definitely going to need a set up. The neck need adjustment for sure. Can't wait to get it home and get it dialed in!

Later that same day...

gbrooding

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm

gbrooding wrote:It's definitely going to need a set up. The neck need adjustment for sure.

Please give this post a read before doing the setup. The big take-away is this: If you adjust neck tilt or if the previous owner adjusted it, either with the Precision Tilt adjustment or with a shim, be very careful to NOT overtighten the neck screws. Good & snug to be sure, just don't reef on the screwdriver like there's no tomorrow.

One more thing: That is a beautiful bass. Congratulations!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby gbrooding » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks Ken! I played it at band rehearsal tonight, and I love it in spite of the fret buzz, etc. I am taking it to the luthier that works on all of my basses, but I will print out the article you linked and pass it along to him. I am sure he is aware, but better safe than sorry.
gbrooding

Postby derick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am

The earliest body dates at the guitarsbyleo registry are June 1980, so your bass's body dates to the second month of production. It sure is a beauty, and looks mint. What does it weigh?

I have an August 1980 bass with a red toggle cap, so there is evidence that the "switch" to red caps happened during August. The color of that little plastic cap is such minutia, I never paid any attention to it before. But it must be the first production variation in the L-1000 line.
derick

Postby gbrooding » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 am

I went to weigh it and the battery in the scale died, of course! My guess is under 10 pounds. It has some checking in the finish that is only visible if you get at the right angle. Straight on you can't see it. I'm still giddy that I came across this bass. I've been looking for about a year for one, and found this one on Guitar Centers used site a day after it was posted. Had no idea of its age until I had him send me a pic of the serial number. AND, to top it off, it didn't have a case, and I was trying to get them to make sure they shipped it in some kind of case just to protect it. The case they found was a 1970s Fender case, in pretty nice shape!
gbrooding

Postby dukeplaysbass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

derick wrote:I have an August 1980 bass with a red toggle cap, so there is evidence that the "switch" to red caps happened during August. The color of that little plastic cap is such minutia, I never paid any attention to it before. But it must be the first production variation in the L-1000 line.

I don’t think there was a switch. My June 1980 L-1000 has a red toggle cap.
It’s possible that somebody at the factory stuck a white one on the OPs bass. Or maybe somebody did it later. But all 4 verified 1980 basses I have here at the Owl Farm have the red cap.

While we’re on the subject, which cap sounds better for metal? :lol:
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Postby gbrooding » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:52 pm

This cap sounds really good for Bakersfield Sound country!!
gbrooding

Postby derick » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 am

dukeplaysbass wrote:I don’t think there was a switch. My June 1980 L-1000 has a red toggle cap.

Is that the cherryburst? I couldn't tell from the photo, it looked like it might have a white cap.

My evidence supporting the "factory white cap" theory is the original 1980 catalog which shows one, and there are three photos of very early basses that do have white caps in the "Wunkay Pix" thread on this server. So, adding in gbrooding's bass, that gives us photos of five very early 1Ks with the white switch cap. That seems like too many to be coincidence, but obviously your June 1980 bass doesn't fit the theory.
Last edited by derick on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derick

Postby dukeplaysbass » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:44 am

gbrooding wrote:This cap sounds really good for Bakersfield Sound country!!

Good to know! The red ones sound good for rock, and blues, and pretty much everything else.
Now I have a reason to find one with a white cap, so I can play country!
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Postby dukeplaysbass » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 am

derick wrote:Is that the cherryburst? I couldn't tell from the photo, it looked like it might have a white cap.

My evidence supporting the "factory white cap" theory is the original 1980 catalog which shows one, and there are three photos of very early basses that do have white caps in the "Wunkay Pix" thread on this server. So, adding in gbrooding's bass, that gives us photos of five every early 1Ks with the white switch cap. That seems like too many to be coincidence, but obviously your June 1980 bass doesn't fit the theory.

Yes, the cherryburst has a red cap.
You’ve obviously done your research, and did it quickly. Took me 4 days to get into the barn and look at my own damn basses! LOL

I stand slightly corrected. I just bought another early Wunkay, that I *thought* was a late 1980. Neck is December, but the body (after looking at the pic very closely this morning) looks like January. It’s a 2200-ish serial number, and has slots so I’m convinced it’s a 1981. I bought it because it’s in great shape and light - about 8.75 lbs (which is the same as the cherryburst).
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

PreviousNext

Return to Wunkay Wuvers