1980 1K with open coil

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

1980 1K with open coil

Postby derick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi, I bought a 1980 L-1000 a few months ago. Beat up, but very light, 8 1/2 libs.

The pickup had an open coil on the neck side. So today I finally tear it down enough to get a look at the pickup, on the very remote chance that I can see and repair the break in the windings or solder. It is my understanding that these were wax potted at the factory but you have to look very hard to see any sign of that. Perhaps too many afternoons in a hot car? At any rate, the "bad" coil had several windings that had escaped the bobbin and so there's nothing I can do with that. Some variation on this reality is what I had expected.

So, I guess I have two options, get this pickup re-wound or purchase a new pickup. I have a 2008 Wunkay from the initial run of BABP basses, and the pole pieces actually have the same threads. Given that 2008 is after the great metric conversion, there's a good chance that I could keep the large hex poles on a new pickup if I cared, which for some reason I do. However, I am actually leaning toward getting this one re-wound. My feeling is that G&L themselves would be the most qualified to do this back to what it's initial state was, is there a soft-hearted soul there that I should direct this request to?

This 1980 is the earliest G&L I have owned, the reason that I wanted it is that when I first decided to purchase a G&L bass in the fall of 1981, everybody in town who was a G&L dealer at that time had a green 1K hanging on their wall. They would stand on their head to try to sell you that green bass. Now, there was zero chance that I was going to buy a green stage bass, but I do remember this recurring and somewhat baffling situation.

So, fast forward, what, 30 years? I read somewhere that for Christmas 1980 Leo provided a green and red bass to his "new" dealers thinking it would make a great Christmas display. The red basses sold, the green ones hung on the wall. I can't seem to find where I had read this, but it certainly would explain the seeming ubiquitousness of green G&Ls during the fall of 1981. And you know, a green stage bass doesn't seem so unthinkable any more, especially when it comes with a decent story.
Attachments
poles.jpg
top: 1980 large hex. bottom: 2008 small hex
poles.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 403 times
derick

Re: 1980 1K with open coil

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm

derick wrote:It is my understanding that these were wax potted at the factory but you have to look very hard to see any sign of that.

In an old electric skillet with melted paraffin.

So, I guess I have two options, get this pickup re-wound or purchase a new pickup. I have a 2008 Wunkay from the initial run of BABP basses, and the pole pieces actually have the same threads. Given that 2008 is after the great metric conversion, there's a good chance that I could keep the large hex poles on a new pickup if I cared, which for some reason I do. However, I am actually leaning toward getting this one re-wound. My feeling is that G&L themselves would be the most qualified to do this back to what it's initial state was, is there a soft-hearted soul there that I should direct this request to?

You can certainly contact G&L and ask: 714-897-6766 x156 or send an email. I don't know whether they'd rewind your old coil or sell you a new one. Due to its age I'd think that a rewind to spec would be preferred, as I don't know if they've updated the spec in later years. Or you could send it out to a reputable shop, like Fralin or Nordstrand.

Specs are 5000 turns of 42ga wire, 4.2 to 4.5 KΩ DC resistance per coil. Note that this is Leo's spec, which should line up with an 80s wunkay soapbar.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: 1980 1K with open coil

Postby derick » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks, the good coil wanders between 4.4 and 4.5 K ohms. I'll attempt to contact them next week.
derick

Return to Wunkay Wuvers