Dating early features

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Dating early features

Postby Rob W » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 am

I finally got myself a super early L-1000 (I've been playing G&Ls for 20+ years but never owned a super early one before). It's in pretty good physical condition overall, although I do need to fix some of the wiring, because the original circuit doesn't quite seem to be doing what it should be, although it looks like most of the original parts are there, except for the volume pot has been changed.

Anyway, I haven't had the neck off yet, so I'm not sure of the exact date, but it's a low 2000 serial number. Based on other instruments in the registry, it may be a late 1980 or perhaps an 81. Just curious if anyone has any insight on some of the parts/features changes and approximate dating of those? Or they a bit of a mixed bag?

My bass has the following:

- serial number on the chrome bridge
- Schaller, non tapered shaft tuners (not G&L stamped)
- pickup has hex pole pieces, not slots (this I found surprising)
- resistor on the treble pot (which I usually don't see in old pics)
- original style headstock

Approximate dates on when each of these features may have changed?
Rob W

Re: Dating early features

Postby derick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Okay, I'll jump in here.

I'm guessing late 1980 on your bass. The first item to change from the original L-1000 was the large hex (1/8") poles to slots, the first of these appeared in December of 1980. The serial numbers started at B000500, although they weren't actually "serial."

I have an August/September 1980 bass I bought a few months ago, it has a B001 serial, open coil on the neck side of the pickup, which I obviously need to look into. I don't know about the resistor on the treble pot, will have to check.

Yes, this bass has a resistor on the treble pot. Without a resistor, could the treble be bled off?
Last edited by derick on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derick

Postby derick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Rob W wrote:Approximate dates on when each of these features may have changed?

Since you asked, here is a table that I put together a while ago.

Approximate Changeover points to Early Leo Era L-Series G&L basses

Pole pieces - Large Hex to Slot Poles … December 1980
Bridge - Chrome to Smooth Black Powder Coat … October 1981
(L-1000 plates stayed chrome till Feb sometime,
There are L-2000s with Black Bridge & chrome plates
as well.)
Schaller straight Post Tuners to tapered brass ... November 1981
Control & Neck Plates , Chrome to Smooth Black ... Jan-Feb 1982
Pole pieces – Slots to Small Hex … April 1982
Schaller Stamped keys to G&L stamped … June 1982
Smooth Black Bridge/Plates to Krinkle Black … August 1982?
Relocate SN from Bridge to neck plate … December 1982
Skunk Stripe Neck to Bi-cut … January 1983
Paddle headstock to Modern pointed … May 1983
Front-loaded controls to back-loaded … Late 1985
Tuners-Brass tapered posts to aluminum ultralight … 1990

According to this chart, there should be no slot-pole basses with G&L stamped tuners, but I have one. As much of the hardware on that bass is pretty corroded, and the knobs were replaced with later G&L dome knobs (the original flaked-off ones were in the case) I am assuming the tuners were swapped at some point, but I have no proof of that. Edited March 13, I've gotten a bit more information since this was originally posted.
Last edited by derick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm

derick wrote:Yes, this bass has a resistor on the treble pot. Without a resistor, could the treble be bled off?

Nope. Without the resistor, high frequencies will appear to overpower lows when the volume on the bass is set low. That resistor is a common part with the big soapbars.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Rob W » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks! That's super helpful and interesting about the changes in features in the early instruments
Rob W

Return to Wunkay Wuvers