Count me in...

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Count me in...

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 am

Just picked this up in trade over the weekend.

image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (90.72 KiB) Viewed 393 times
TDR1138

Re: Count me in...

Postby derick » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 am

Wow, so that's an '85 - '91? Very clean, beautiful. It looks like brand new.
That looks like probably rosewood and ash, if so, the rosewood is pretty rare. It was not officially available in the early years, I don't know when it was first listed in the catalogs.

Now you can compare the single-coil to OMG positions and tell me if your ears hear "single coil with bass boost" (Leo's description) or "massive treble cut."
derick

Postby Deano » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Welcome to the L1000 owner's association. I'm sure I speak for many in saying we would be interested in hearing your impressions after setting up the bass to your preference and playing it for a while. Love the color on yours. I want to be buried with my L1000.
Deano

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 am

derick wrote:Wow, so that's an '85 - '91? Very clean, beautiful. It looks like brand new.
That looks like probably rosewood and ash, if so, the rosewood is pretty rare. It was not officially available in the early years, I don't know when it was first listed in the catalogs.

It's got the "Leo Fender" sig on the headstock, so that was what, late '87 through '91? Round lam fingerboard, so I'd guess late 80s. I haven't disassembled it yet to get the date stamps on the neck/body.

It's pretty clean for a 30-ish year old bass... only noticeable issues are the back of the "eye gouger" has a tiny piece chipped off (can't tell from the front) and there is some damage around the volume knob (look close and you can see where the finish is missing). Looks like the knob took a direct hit at some point. Everything feels solid and the pot works fine, but there is some finish damage around it. When I tear it apart sooner or later, I'll inspect to see what the extent of the damage is.

Deano wrote:Welcome to the L1000 owner's association. I'm sure I speak for many in saying we would be interested in hearing your impressions after setting up the bass to your preference and playing it for a while. Love the color on yours. I want to be buried with my L1000.

Bass came with a recent setup by Sam Ash (didn't buy from them; traded locally via craigslist), so it meant that I only had to do a small amount of tweaking to get it to play well. Sound is great. I have an '89 L2k with OMG and a '00 L2k with the inner single coil mod, so I theoretically could hit any of the tones this one offers, but it's just got a little more of a punchy, throaty voice than the L2ks.

derick wrote: Now you can compare the single-coil to OMG positions and tell me if your ears hear "single coil with bass boost" (Leo's description) or "massive treble cut."

Neither, I'd say. Somewhere in between. The true single coil mode is definitely more clear, and you lose a little of that clarity with OMG, but it's not the same as rolling the tone off.
TDR1138

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am

So I had some free time this weekend and used it to clean and rebuild the tuners. Basically all four had enough gunk in them that they were super stiff and hard to turn. Tore 'em completely apart and scrubbed 'em clean. Much better now. While I was at it, I did pull the neck off and checked the dates - 8/11/88 for the body and 9/9/88 for the neck. Also confirmed that the damage around the volume pot was just superficial, so we're good there. We'll see how long the honeymoon phase lasts, but man, I'm really enjoying this one.
TDR1138

Return to Wunkay Wuvers