Schematics for the beast G&L L100

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Schematics for the beast G&L L100

Postby mickeyziggyk » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:17 pm

IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg (193.39 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg (193.39 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Hi

Have a fine beast of a L1000 with wiring problems. It was fine when I bought it in 1992 from Coldharbour Lane in Brixton but then it's been rewired a few times to the point where I don't what is correct anymore.

The net result that the bass cut pot works as a volume cut and regardless of switch position, it sounds the same.

Comparing the diagrams with what I see when I look at the actual wiring, there are differences. I'd like to take care of it myself but I don't know what type of resistor I need on the treble pot?

Could someone help me with telling me what type of resistor I need and/or recommend someone decent to get it sorted in London? (preferably south of the river)

Any help appreciated, thanks.
mickeyziggyk

Re: Schematics for the beast G&L L100

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Welcome to BassesByLeo!

mickeyziggyk wrote:Have a fine beast of a L1000 with wiring problems. It was fine when I bought it in 1992 from Coldharbour Lane in Brixton but then it's been rewired a few times to the point where I don't what is correct anymore.

The net result that the bass cut pot works as a volume cut and regardless of switch position, it sounds the same.

Comparing the diagrams with what I see when I look at the actual wiring, there are differences. I'd like to take care of it myself but I don't know what type of resistor I need on the treble pot?

I'm in SoCal, so probably can't help you with a local tech, though deltafred may know of one.

I'd recommend that you pick just one circuit to rebuild to, and this would be a good one:

Click the image for a PDF.

Could someone help me with telling me what type of resistor I need and/or recommend someone decent to get it sorted in London? (preferably south of the river)

There is no resistor on the volume pot, though there should be one on the treble pot.

Parts List:

Capacitors
    .001mfd 50v poly
    .0022mfd 50v poly
    .047mfd 50v poly
    104K 50v ceramic disc

Resistor
    6.8K 1/4w 5% (or better)

Misc
    20ga hookup wire

Note on the caps: You don't need anything fancy or mojo-filled for this. Big ol' Orange Drop caps will get you exactly nothing in a bass circuit. Maybe in a tube guitar amp, but not here. Just use the ones I've listed.

Carefully remove all the components that are currently on the pots and solder in the new ones per the diagram above. It's a pretty simple circuit, so a decent tech should be able to handle the rebuild.

Good luck!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Ken Baker wrote:I'm in SoCal, so probably can't help you with a local tech, though deltafred may know of one.

Sorry I can't help, Brixton might as well be SoCal to me.

I don't even know any techs local to me, well not one I would trust with a soldering iron near my guitars, I do all my own tech work. If you were a bit closer mickeyziggyk I would gladly rewire it for a beer or two.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby mickeyziggyk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:56 am

@ken baker, @deltafred

Gentlemen and scholars, I thank you. :)

The wiring diagram is clearer to other ones I've seen in the past.

I feel I ought to fix it myself, but wanted a tech to get me out of jail just in case.
mickeyziggyk

Return to Wunkay Wuvers