Refinish or not refinish?

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Refinish or not refinish?

Postby ajemerson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:06 pm

I have an 81 L1000 and I am wondering if I should have it refinished. In the late 80's I had a thumb rest installed on the bass by a local guitar shop and many years later installed another one. I have recently had the thumb rests removed and the body filled with dowels. All work was performed by the same shop that I had install the first thumb rest. The finish where these thumb rests were is now an issue and I also completely regret what I chose to do in the first place. I was thinking of contacting G&L and getting a quote for refinishing. I do not ever plan on selling the bass ever and am not concerned about its resale value. Any advice on this matter?? Thank You.
ajemerson

Re: Refinish or not refinish?

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Welcome to Basses By Leo!
Any refinish from the original is going to cause a drop in value, and although you seem to be aware of that it bears repeating. Most of the time, that drop is about half its "book" value.
That said, a factory refinish (or one done by a reputable finish shop) will be way less of a deterrent to a potential buyer than one done by an amateur.
I, personally, have an early L-1000 with the paint coming off due to wear. I don't mind it, in fact, I kinda dig it. But some people don't, I get that.
Since you don't plan to sell the bass, my advice is to do what makes you happy with it.
My *only* remaining caveat would be if you had a particularly rare color, something really out of the ordinary, which might have historical value even with a disintegrating finish. For example, there was a small run in shoreline gold that are particularly well regarded that I'd strongly advise not refinishing because of their rarity.
It hurts nothing to contact the factory and see if they'll do a refin. And if they won't I can recommend a couple other good options.
But I'm curious -- do you have some pix? Is it a rare color?
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Re: Refinish or not refinish?

Postby ajemerson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank you for the welcome and for the reply! No, I don't think it's a rare color. It is two or three tone sunburst and
i'll post some pictures. Thank's.
ajemerson

Return to Wunkay Wuvers