1981 L1000 controls question

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

1981 L1000 controls question

Postby bassplayaneener » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:58 am

Hello, this is my first time here and I'm hoping for some help! I bought this beauty quite awhile ago, the serial number on the bridge dates it as a 1981, however the fretless neck seems to be newer, as it has the modern headstock style; I haven't cared enough to take the neck off the body and date them both completely yet, but that's not the point, haha. So this was a pawn shop find, and it seems the original owner had gutted the controls and essentially only left the volume and tone knobs hooked up, everything else is gone. The wires for the bass cut knob are still inside the control cavity and just disconnected and taped up, which you can hopefully see in one of these pictures. Anywho, I want to get everything back to how it was, so I am hoping to connect that knob again, and install the switch(es) needed; so here's where my questions come in. I've never seen an L1000 with two switches, however mine has two empty spots in the controls where switches would have been, so what would the second switch have been for? Hopefully the pictures show up and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unless this is a different model and the fretless neck put on was just from an L1000, in which case, maybe I could use more help identifying the bass itself, haha. My other question would be what exactly I'd have to order for these electronics, it looks like the DP3T switch on G&Ls product page would be the switch for the series/parallel, but what else would I need for this stuff, as in for the other switch or any other electronics needed for the switches to function? I'm not much with the electronics of guitars and basses so I really have no idea, I'm hoping to just order what I need and have a guitar tech install it for me, haha. Anyway, thanks for any help. I'll try putting some pictures up.
Attachments
GetAttachment.aspx-3.jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx-3.jpeg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpeg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
bassplayaneener

Re: 1981 L1000 controls question

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Welcome!

bassplayaneener wrote:Hello, this is my first time here and I'm hoping for some help! I bought this beauty quite awhile ago, the serial number on the bridge dates it as a 1981, however the fretless neck seems to be newer, as it has the modern headstock style; I haven't cared enough to take the neck off the body and date them both completely yet, but that's not the point, haha. So this was a pawn shop find, and it seems the original owner had gutted the controls and essentially only left the volume and tone knobs hooked up, everything else is gone. The wires for the bass cut knob are still inside the control cavity and just disconnected and taped up, which you can hopefully see in one of these pictures. Anywho, I want to get everything back to how it was, so I am hoping to connect that knob again, and install the switch(es) needed; so here's where my questions come in. I've never seen an L1000 with two switches, however mine has two empty spots in the controls where switches would have been, so what would the second switch have been for? Hopefully the pictures show up and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unless this is a different model and the fretless neck put on was just from an L1000, in which case, maybe I could use more help identifying the bass itself, haha. My other question would be what exactly I'd have to order for these electronics, it looks like the DP3T switch on G&Ls product page would be the switch for the series/parallel, but what else would I need for this stuff, as in for the other switch or any other electronics needed for the switches to function? I'm not much with the electronics of guitars and basses so I really have no idea, I'm hoping to just order what I need and have a guitar tech install it for me, haha. Anyway, thanks for any help. I'll try putting some pictures up.

You're right - only one switch.

Lots of circuits here.

What you need:

From the above you should be able to build a shopping list. I'd recommend that you get the pots from G&L; maybe the switch too. Be sure to get the USA pots, not Tribute. Caps can be purchased at Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, etc. All caps are the value noted at 50 volts. Note that you do NOT need to buy fancy Sprague Orange Drop caps. This is a bass, not a tube guitar amp.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: 1981 L1000 controls question

Postby bassplayaneener » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:05 am

I forgot to reply back with a thank you, haha; so thank you for the help! My bass is in the shop right now getting the electronics put back in so it'll be back in it's original form, I'm so excited for it to be finished.
bassplayaneener

Return to Wunkay Wuvers