Rounds or Flats?

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Rounds or Flats?

Postby Idaho » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Hey Wunkay Wuvers! My new (old) Wunkay arrived a few days ago. The previous owner was using flatwound strings. What seems to be the popular choice among all you cool kids?
Idaho

Re: Rounds or Flats?

Postby Deano » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:50 am

Rounds or flats will depend on the music you want to play and the sound you want. Both types of string will work well on the L1000, in my experience at least. I use Dunlop nickel rounds on my '82 L1K. I couldn't be happier with the performance of that bass.
Deano

Postby Idaho » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 am

Right now I'm not in a bad so the music I play is from different genres. I suppose I would just be going for a good all around tone. I'm used to rounds, but do like the feel of the flats that are on it.

My bass has an ebony fretboard. Should there be any concern about rounds leaving marks on it?
Idaho

Postby alexlittle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:08 am

Welcome to the club. They're fantastic basses.

I think its just a matter of preference and the type of stuff you play. FWIW, I have TI Jazz Flats on 2 of my L-1000's and TI Jazz Rounds on the other. Both types of strings have great tone, maintain rock solid tune, and feel awesome in the hands. (the one with rounds has an ebony board and I haven't noticed any scraping.)

Alex
alexlittle

Postby Idaho » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Right on. The flats that are on it still have some life left in them. I might try rounds for the next set just to see if I like the difference in tone. I will say the flats sound/feel good.
Idaho

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:15 am

Welcome, and congrats on the new/old Wunkay!
I used to be a full-on snob, and would only use Thomastik Infled Super Alloys on my Wunkays. The new string "zing" was dialed back and they seemed to last for a while. They've crept up in price a bit, now about $45/set. I got a new/old Wunkay recently and have been experimenting with some other brands, so I'm interested to see what you all think, too....

As for rounds vs. flats, I've never taken to flats. I do like to get some bite on my tone....
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Postby BlushResponse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Used DAddario Half Rounds for years and have only recently switched over to DAddario Chrome Custom Gauge 40 - 100. Never thought I'd actually switch to flats on my fretless, but here I am.
BlushResponse

Postby DisgraceOnBass » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm asking myself this same question. The strings my '81 came with are pretty much dead. Wondering what best to replace them with.

I also have an early SB-2, and I put rounds on that. Upon further consideration, I'm thinking that maybe flats would have been a better choice for the SB, and that rounds might best bring out the beast in the L1K. Such a 1st-world problem..... I am a lucky man! - ed
DisgraceOnBass

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Welcome to BassesByLeo!

DisgraceOnBass wrote:I'm asking myself this same question. The strings my '81 came with are pretty much dead. Wondering what best to replace them with.

I also have an early SB-2, and I put rounds on that. Upon further consideration, I'm thinking that maybe flats would have been a better choice for the SB, and that rounds might best bring out the beast in the L1K. Such a 1st-world problem..... I am a lucky man! - ed

Hey, Ed! Glad you made the trip over here to the low side.

Y'all watch out for Ed! He's got a sense of humor so dry it's kinda dusty. And suitably warped! Which makes having him here all the better!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby DisgraceOnBass » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks, Ken.

You know that your warm welcome doesn't necessarily mean that I don't think that you're a bastid' in low-end clothing. Ha! ;+)
DisgraceOnBass

Next

Return to Wunkay Wuvers