Stripped Truss Rod Nut

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Stripped Truss Rod Nut

Postby BlushResponse » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:49 am

I'm here to pick some brains on a problem I've come across with my '82 L1000 that I picked up about 18 months ago. Since picking it up rather cheaply from eBay, I've gigged with it extensively since then, with no set up. Other than some obvious wear on the fretboard (it's fretless) it played fantastically. But after all this time I finally decided to take it in to my usual guy that works on my basses. As it turns out, the truss rod nut is stripped; a fairly common issue from what I've heard in the past. Anybody have any tips or tricks on getting that bad boy out?
BlushResponse

Re: Stripped Truss Rod Nut

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:05 am

Welcome to BassesByLeo!

BlushResponse wrote:I'm here to pick some brains on a problem I've come across with my '82 L1000 that I picked up about 18 months ago. Since picking it up rather cheaply from eBay, I've gigged with it extensively since then, with no set up. Other than some obvious wear on the fretboard (it's fretless) it played fantastically. But after all this time I finally decided to take it in to my usual guy that works on my basses. As it turns out, the truss rod nut is stripped; a fairly common issue from what I've heard in the past. Anybody have any tips or tricks on getting that bad boy out?

What part of the nut is stripped? The threads or the hex socket?

If the hex socket, Stew-Mac has these.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby BlushResponse » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 am

It's the hex socket. Thanks a lot on the tool. I'll see if we can get this stupid thing cleared up.
BlushResponse

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:29 am

If you order from Stew-Mac, grab a trussrod nut while you're at it. G&L no longer has the older nut available and this one works great.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby BlushResponse » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:58 am

That was going to be my next step, to find that nut. G&L doesn't exactly provide a lot of parts anymore.
BlushResponse

Postby BlushResponse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Truss rod issue has been solved. Thanks for the tip. I'm up and running again with my red fretless.
BlushResponse

Return to Wunkay Wuvers