The Subject that Must Not Be Discussed...

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

The Subject that Must Not Be Discussed...

Postby derick » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Okay, so I have this 1981 wunkay with a powder coated bridge, serial number B001451, which is 5 or 6 thousand too early to be powder coated.

I special ordered this bass in October 1981 with a white finish (not offered in the G&L catalog at that time,) and ebony board. The shop owner stated that when he called G&L to see if they would do an off-list color, he spoke to Leo himself who said that he would build it. I paid for the bass right then and was told that it would be delivered in a couple of weeks. When I called to check on the bass two weeks later, the shop owner said that Leo had called and that he wasn't happy with their current stock of ebony but was expecting a new shipment and so it would be a couple of weeks more before the bass would arrive, at which time it did. So, I know that Leo did take a personal interest in this bass.

Fast forward to 2008 when, at the behest of the badassbassplayers, I first pulled the neck to see the build dates and try to discern the species of wood. In the neck pocket there is a date and the initials CL. I did not know at that moment that Leo used the initials CL or CLF. During email correspondence with Dale Hyatt about this bass (which he had no record of, possibly because the serial number was so far off) I sent him a photo of the neck and asked if this could possibly be Leo's handwriting. He did not respond to that question at all.

Okay, so a few years ago Ken posted a notepad page from Leo's desk. A composite of my neck pocket and a cut-and-paste from that notepad is attached...

B001451.leo.composite2.jpg
B001451.leo.composite2.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

Multiple experts have claimed that Leo never signed or initialed any instruments, except the Broadcaster stickers and one that Dale Hyatt owned, and yet I find this evidence to be at least relevant to that question. So, does this prove anything? Yes, it proves that I must have too much time on my hands. Still, since this bass has an absolutely solid provenance I think it is at least an interesting question...
derick

Re: The Subject that Must Not Be Discussed...

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:04 am

Ummm....Looks like the real deal to me. And if it's true, that's DAMN cool!!
Mr. Mom

Postby deltafred » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:10 pm

That's what I thought, but didn't like to discuss it! :D
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby derick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 am

Another thing about my white bass is that I stated it was definitely a poly finish. Ken suggested that this might not be true and he is correct as lacquer thinner does soften the finish. Strangely it has no checking in the finish as every other bass I've owned from this time period (since 2008) did have finish checking to a greater or lesser extent.

Also, as long as we're not discussing this, here are a couple of other neck pockets dated within four months of mine that I have run across...

datednecks.jpg
datednecks.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 4045 times

To my eye it looks like a similar scrawl to Leo's notepad, but any sort of proof is lacking. One of these basses came through a national chain near Chicago, and the other from a sometime poster to these forums in California. Neither is currently in my possession. At the very least, it looks like these neck pockets may have been dated by the same person, who has the initial "C."

leo_note86.jpg
leo_note86.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
derick

Postby dukeplaysbass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am

This is pretty interesting. Reminds me of the old "In Search Of..." tv series....

In all my years of wrenching G&L's I don't recall ever seeing a hand-written date in the pocket. I've seen what appear to be some random initials (or notations of some sort) and the typical date stamp, but not a hand-written date. I may have to dig back into the pic archive and see if there's anything I missed.

I contacted Dale around 2005 or so when I had a super early L-1000 fall into my lap. He said he had no record of that number, and speculated that it might have been a "Leo field tester" of sorts. I tried to ask some follow up questions but he wouldn't respond.

Which brings me to this question: whatever happened to Dale's list? Anyone know?
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Postby derick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:17 am

dukeplaysbass wrote:I contacted Dale around 2005 or so when I had a super early L-1000 fall into my lap. He said he had no record of that number, and speculated that it might have been a "Leo field tester" of sorts. I tried to ask some follow up questions but he wouldn't respond.

This essentially mirrors my own experience communicating with Dale Hyatt in Feb, 2008. He stated that his records did not show that the instrument had ever been built, and that this was something that he had not experienced previously. Just today I notice for the first time that the Subject line on his email referred to serial number G001451, not B001451. So, he may have been looking for the wrong serial number. in the text of his letter he simply refers to "Serial number 1451." An additional query to him (including the question about Leo's initials) was not responded to.

So, this brings up another question: Was there overlap in the G and B series of serial numbers? I would assume so but I don't know. Dale Hyatt was 82 when I contacted him.

dukeplaysbass wrote:Which brings me to this question: whatever happened to Dale's list? Anyone know?

Yes, I would certainly like to digitize that list. I've seen photos of a couple of pages, it's just handwritten info in a printed grid sheet.

I have another bass stamped NO 9 81 with a penciled date of 1-6-82 but that handwriting looks totally different from these photos.
derick

Return to Wunkay Wuvers