New, and different, L-1000

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:40 am

jim.i wrote:Did Paul feel it provided a "mellower" sound than the ceramic MFD (like the L vs M preamps) or is that just my imagination?


He didn't say, but I'd think there is a lot of credence to what you're saying about it being mellower.

The ceramic MFD is known for its biting aggressive nature in the L Series and SB-x basses. Less so with the Ms, but it's still there. This is a whole 'nother beast wrapped up in the same covers, so it remains to be seen how people view it.

You're the vanguard, Jim!

Ken...
User avatar
Ken Baker
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4076
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 am
Location: 12 miles WSW of Fender Ave. Fullerton

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby jim.i » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:54 am

Great, i love being on the bleeding edge...not.

I'm afraid the underside of the alnico MFD will have to wait until i visit Brad or you and Todd in So. Cal, i am tech-averse and have a skill at taking things apart and not being able to put them together again.



Ken Baker wrote:
jim.i wrote:Did Paul feel it provided a "mellower" sound than the ceramic MFD (like the L vs M preamps) or is that just my imagination?


He didn't say, but I'd think there is a lot of credence to what you're saying about it being mellower.

The ceramic MFD is known for its biting aggressive nature in the L Series and SB-x basses. Less so with the Ms, but it's still there. This is a whole 'nother beast wrapped up in the same covers, so it remains to be seen how people view it.

You're the vanguard, Jim!

Ken...
jim.i
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby TDR1138 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:04 am

jim.i wrote:I'm afraid the underside of the alnico MFD will have to wait until i visit Brad or you and Todd in So. Cal, i am tech-averse and have a skill at taking things apart and not being able to put them together again.


c'mon down. I'll be sure to give it a proper evaluation. :mrgreen:
User avatar
TDR1138
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby jim.i » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:13 am

I'm sure you will...but i want it back...

TDR1138 wrote:
jim.i wrote:I'm afraid the underside of the alnico MFD will have to wait until i visit Brad or you and Todd in So. Cal, i am tech-averse and have a skill at taking things apart and not being able to put them together again.


c'mon down. I'll be sure to give it a proper evaluation. :mrgreen:
jim.i
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby TDR1138 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:14 am

jim.i wrote:I'm sure you will...but i want it back...


Sure, sure... All in good time...
User avatar
TDR1138
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby jim.i » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 am

I've spent some hours this morning comparing the [alnico MFD] L-1000 to a [ceramic MFD] L-2000 (neck p/up only, passive mode) and to my ears the L-1000 is mellower in both series and parallel switch settings. Also, the L-2000 has a quite noticeably louder output at same volume settings. I think the L-1000 pickup is as high as it can be raised and i have lowered the string saddles which did increase output somewhat. So again, this may be another difference with the alnico vs ceramic MFD, plus not having adjustable pole pieces. The mellower sound doesn't necessarily surprise me but the lowered output did, i was expecting the same huge typical MFD sound.

I compared the basses with a couple different amps and cabs and results were the same, with one exception: when using my GK MB150S combo the OMG series and single-coil switch settings were noisier than with a small GK cab (only) or a Bergantino cab, and different amps. That aluminum box MB150 maybe creates more conductivity than conventional tolex-covered cabs?? Or maybe something to do with the internal components in the MB150??

I don't have the ability to post sound clips, and don't have broad experience of G&L sounds so a more concise review will have to wait until one of the really knowledgeable G&L users can check out this L-1000. I should add that Greg/Rocket did not have the chance to check out this bass because it shipped directly to me due to some shipping snafus.
jim.i
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby TDR1138 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks for the review. How does she compare to, say, your Lull P4?
User avatar
TDR1138
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby jim.i » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Well i must admit i gave up the Lull P4, which had a J neck. After i played the G&L #12 i was sold on that neck and am mostly converted to G&L now. The P4 sale helped make the conversion possible. GAS that actually was a good thing for a change ;)

Brad and i have been talking a lot today about why the alnico MFD sounds mellower with lower output than the ceramic and we think, based on the info Ken and Paul G provided and my a/b'ing, he has figured it out; i'll wait for him to chime in because he can explain much better than me.

And i should definitely clarify in case i've created a wrong impression - the alnico L-1000 sounds great and i love it, in fact more so than the L-2000. The alnico serial OMG output is still huge, just not HUGE as with the ceramic L series.


TDR1138 wrote:Thanks for the review. How does she compare to, say, your Lull P4?
jim.i
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 am

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby Monahan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Congrats on the NBD!!

Seeing basses like these is always a lot of fun-- I love that G&L will experiment every now & then, and release some of them to customers, it's not every day we get to see stuff like this :)
User avatar
Monahan
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:43 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: New, and different, L-1000

Postby Markth30 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:56 pm

How does one purchase the alnico L series MFDs?
Markth30
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to Wunkay Wuvers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest