G&L L1000 repair: control plate and tuner

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

G&L L1000 repair: control plate and tuner

Postby joedamofu » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi!

I bought a G&L L1000 last year whitout control plate and original pickups. It got fender precision pickups on it and a fake fender pickguard... I want to restore it to original so i'm building my own control plate and I cant find any plans. Does someone have one? Can someone outline a plate on paper and measure holes and profile for me? It would be a big help for me since we dont have many L1Ks in Slovenia. :)

Bye! I'll send pictures when its done. If you have any question how to measure, please let me know...

And another thing!

Just recently neck fell down from shelf and:

Can someone tell me what kind of tuner do i have to find? I looks like Schaller BM but i cant recognize the finish... nikel or crom?

I'll post photos during process of rebuilding this high resonant beauty ;)

Thank you! Lp!

Jan
joedamofu

Re: G&L L1000 repair: control plate and tuner

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:18 am

Hi Jan! Welcome!

I'm crazy busy the next few days but someone here might have a minute to trace a control plate for you. You can sometimes find them on eBay too.

There is what is supposed be an L-1000 pickup in the accessories section of TalkBass. You might also find brand new ones at the G&L online store.

The tuners are Schallers. The BML series should be a direct drop-in replacement, so no extra holes. However, the "ears" might not match. Again, the G&L store might have some, and those will have the G&L stamp like these ones probably do. (didn't someone here do a detailed year-by-year tuner comparison, maybe at some other forum?)

Good luck on you restoration project! And please share your progress with us!
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Postby Basscase » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Jan, you may want to try reposting this in the main G&L bass forum.
Tribute JB-2
1981 L-1000
1988 SB-1

1997 L-2000
JB
1999 L-2500
Basscase

Postby joedamofu » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:16 am

dukeplaysbass wrote:Hi Jan! Welcome!

I'm crazy busy the next few days but someone here might have a minute to trace a control plate for you. You can sometimes find them on eBay too.

There is what is supposed be an L-1000 pickup in the accessories section of TalkBass. You might also find brand new ones at the G&L online store.

The tuners are Schallers. The BML series should be a direct drop-in replacement, so no extra holes. However, the "ears" might not match. Again, the G&L store might have some, and those will have the G&L stamp like these ones probably do. (didn't someone here do a detailed year-by-year tuner comparison, maybe at some other forum?)

Good luck on you restoration project! And please share your progress with us!

Control plate has to be black and I already have a deal with a friend of mine to route it with CNC and finish it with black. So for now I'll make my own replica since it will be for free... If I get a good deal for plate i might consider buying it, but shipping to Slovenia (EU) is already > 15$

I need a tuner with Schaller stamp on it. No G&L! I'll try to find those year by year tuner comparison. I wouldnt mind buying only a part of the tuner thats on the photo I posted before... :) I see that BML type on the pictures isn't 100% correct... Maybe also mine tuners aren't original?

Thank you duke, I'll keep sharing progress... but I might dissapoint some of you wunkay fans... Since I can't refinish period correct with slightly transparent finish (wood filling would be too visible) Im considering finishing it pre-CBS-fender way. This is also nitro finish, but a little thinner and diferent color ofcourse. So since this can never be 100% wunkay again, I'll probably let myself do another modification... A jazz pickup on bridge position! So controls would be (from bridge to neck): tone - volume jazz pickup - volume MDF pickup, and 3way switch as it is, so I hope when put on single coil i'll get jazz bass style sound ... What do you think about that?

Basscase : Maybe admin can move this thread to correct forum?

1st step:

Stripping down finish... Done with acetone. Wood will stil need some sanding and woodfilling. A piece of ash (for filling the ugly cavity) that I'm not satisfied with: It has bad grain texture and it is dried in drying booth... till next week I'll try to find older piece of ash with better qualities. From some old masive furniture maybe...

joedamofu

Postby Basscase » Sun May 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Hello Jan. I was curious how you are getting along with your restoration? I would love to see your progress.
Tribute JB-2
1981 L-1000
1988 SB-1

1997 L-2000
JB
1999 L-2500
Basscase

Postby Madcity Fats » Mon May 04, 2015 9:44 am

Projects like this warm my heart. I've seen some beautiful basses emerge from some ugly ducklings (Duke, I'm looking toward your shoreline gold coast ... ).

Please do post pics of your progress. Some of us like to follow along and live vicariously. And just so you know, while the factory finishes for the early Wunkays were mostly natural over ash or mahogany, custom colors were available from G&L from the start, and you do find some in nitro. So a classic Fender finish should look right at home on this one. As for other mods, you're resurrecting a bass that would probably otherwise be headed for the junk heap, so it's all good as long as it works for you.
Madcity Fats

Postby dukeplaysbass » Tue May 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:Projects like this warm my heart. I've seen some beautiful basses emerge from some ugly ducklings (Duke, I'm looking toward your shoreline gold coast ... ).

Please do post pics of your progress. Some of us like to follow along and live vicariously. And just so you know, while the factory finishes for the early Wunkays were mostly natural over ash or mahogany, custom colors were available from G&L from the start, and you do find some in nitro. So a classic Fender finish should look right at home on this one. As for other mods, you're resurrecting a bass that would probably otherwise be headed for the junk heap, so it's all good as long as it works for you.

Thanks for the kind words, Madcity Fats!

To the OP, yes, please post up some pix of your progress….

Like this old dog (just made an effort to bring this one back to the Owl Farm…..)
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wrangler

Return to Wunkay Wuvers