L1000 - Bad wiring paths?

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Re: L1000 - Bad wiring paths?

Postby derick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:45 pm

billingsatx wrote:It may have, but to be clear did you mean to say not a slotpole?

I am saying that your bass would almost certainly have left the factory with a slotpole pickup.
slotpole.jpg
Slotpole pickup manufactured Jan 1981 till April 1982 -ish
slotpole.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 101 times
The small hex pickups didn't start appearing until April of 1982.

I don't know what difference the green pickup wire attached to pin 5 would make, but it would be in the circuit on first and second switch positions according to Paul Gagon's switch matrix. The green/yellow wires are the bridge coil, it is the only coil on the pickup that is engaged in all three switch postions.

I am actually trying to figure out how to wire the pickup switch to provide SERIES HB / SC / Series HB with cap across neck coil (OMG mode) but my electronics knowledge isn't adequate to have figured that out yet. I have tried a couple of options that don't work, so let's define that as progress...
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm

derick wrote:I do notice that the green wire from the pickup was soldered to pin5 on the switch, which is not factory. What behavior does that change?

He did mention that there had been some changes to wire color, but also that the bass is fully functional.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby derick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Ken Baker wrote:He did mention that there had been some changes to wire color, but also that the bass is fully functional.

Yes, I do understand that and I am not commenting on the wire color changes that do the same thing. I am asking about the green wire from the pickup that, in the stock configuration is soldered directly to ground on the volume pot, but on his bass goes to the switch before grounding to the volume pot. This has to alter the signal path under certain switch positions, doesn't it?
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

derick wrote:I am asking about the green wire from the pickup that, in the stock configuration is soldered directly to ground on the volume pot, but on his bass goes to the switch before grounding to the volume pot. This has to alter the signal path under certain switch positions, doesn't it?

So long as the lead is connected to ground, it's grounded. The only way it would make a difference is if there is something between the connection point and ground that is higher than normal resistance. In this case the resistance should be near zero ohms; essentially shorted. If there was a connection issue the output of the bass would be reduced inversely proportional to the resistance. This would be most noticeable in series and single coil modes. In parallel modes, single coil noise might be heard because of the imbalance between coils.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby billingsatx » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for the pic derick - clears it up. I'm pretty sure i remember the body was an '82, so maybe they just picked up a neck laying around and used that. Sounds like it's was a bit wild west in those days.

As for the pup - in series it's relatively dead silent. When I go to the center single coil position, there is a hum, but always been there. When I go to the bridge position (single coil with bass boost), the hum changes to a more of a 1 - 1.5k flavor.
billingsatx

Postby derick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:22 am

Hmmm, if the "October 2 1981" datestamp is the neck and not the body, then forget everything I just said about the body details, although with the exception of the pickup, your body details are "normal" for a build of that time. A neck built on that day should have Schaller branded straight post tuners, if it has tapered posts then that would be the earliest bass with the tapers that I have heard of.

Leo was changing the manufacturing details on these a lot in the 1981 - 1983 period. A late '83 bass would have at gone through at least nine minor changes from a mid '81. The changeover points seem to have smeared over a month or more.

All of my 1Ks have very similar buzz on SC and on OMG modes, a bit more depth to the buzz on OMG. The 1st switch position is parallel humbucking, although I personally think that wiring it for series humbucking would be more useful...
derick

Postby billingsatx » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Here's the tuners. So maybe someone swapped pups after the fact. Ok, cool
Attachments
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG (28.5 KiB) Viewed 80 times
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG (30.56 KiB) Viewed 80 times
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG (20.83 KiB) Viewed 80 times
billingsatx

Postby derick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:12 pm

Okay, those are tapered Schallers. I have a bass with neck date of 11-8-81 that has straight posts, and I know it's original because I special ordered it in October of that year.
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:37 pm

derick wrote:Okay, those are tapered Schallers. I have a bass with neck date of 11-8-81 that has straight posts, and I know it's original because I special ordered it in October of that year.

Seeing straight (steel) posts is kind of normal. G&L would run low on G&L Ultra-Light tuners, order more from Schaller, Schaller is out of tapered aluminum posts so ship regular Schaller-stamped tuners so G&L can ship basses. My late-80s SB-2 was like that.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 am

Ken Baker wrote:Seeing straight (steel) posts is kind of normal. G&L would run low on G&L Ultra-Light tuners, order more from Schaller, Schaller is out of tapered aluminum posts so ship regular Schaller-stamped tuners so G&L can ship basses. My late-80s SB-2 was like that.

Ken...

My '93 LB-100 is like that, too.
TDR1138

PreviousNext

Return to Wunkay Wuvers