Slot Pole Issue

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Slot Pole Issue

Postby Cubby6708 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 am

Good Morning all

I am new owner of 1983 L-1000. A dream p-bass as we all know. I am fighting this bass because the back slot pole below the G-string is higher than than the front pole a mere mm.

Because of this I have to screw the pick up down farther, and or raise my action to avoid the "pop" sound of string on pole. Does anyone know how to recess that slot pole ? Since there is only one screw on the bottom, it unevenly screws down into the body.

I can lighten my attack, raise action, and screw the pickup down further. Does anyone have tips ? I would love to dig into this baby at a low action, but it's getting hard to do that on this bass.

Thanks!
Last edited by Cubby6708 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubby6708

Re: Slot Poles !

Postby Cubby6708 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 am

Here is a picture of the slot pole I am talking off. In this picture it is the top R pole, or back pole of the G string.

Thanks!

Jacob
Attachments
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Cubby6708

Re: Slot Pole Issue

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 am

Looks like the ol' girl has some rust. I've got a call out to a rust remover manufacturer, trying to see if their product will remove rust without destroying the rest of the pickup. Hopefully, they'll get back to me soon.

As to lowering the pole piece... Are you talking about the slotted adjuster or the whole pole piece? If the adjuster, rust will need to be removed before you can do a whole lot. If the whole pole piece, pressing it down further into the pickup body could potentially damage the bobbin or the wax potting, and that assumes that the whole pickup wouldn't be damaged.

I don't really have a wonderful recommendation for this. The slot pole pickups are a bit on the rare side and the people who have them swear by their adjustability, so keeping them working is usually paramount. Damaged potting is easy to fix; just soak the bobbins in a pool of melted paraffin for a couple hours. A broken bobbin would probably drive you to replacement.

If the adjusters turn - even a little - you can slowly work them back & forth a tiny bit at a time and possibly get decent movement. Just be careful. They are soft iron, not steel, and can crumble if pushed too hard.

As to rust removal; do not use automotive thread penetrent (WD40, et al) of any kind, as they likely will damage the potting and possibly the wiring.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Slot Pole Issue

Postby Cubby6708 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Very insightful.

My focus was to depress the entire outer housing, so it does not make contact with the string as easy. The flat head portion turns just fine. A friend of mine informed me, builders keep the higher strings poles a bit higher so they can creat a sonic sound. Maybe more vibration. In my case, the rust is not the problem, or at least the problem I wish to address. That pole just doesn’t go down any farther and the pickup depressed on the neck side more than the bridge side. This makes it uneven the more I screw down. I will most likely sell this bass as I have started a build for a newly crafted CLF. I’m seeing a luthier tomorrow to get a consult.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob
Cubby6708

Return to Wunkay Wuvers