G&L Basses - The Current Tribute Lineup

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

G&L Basses - The Current Tribute Lineup

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:19 am

As of 10/11/2009
Updated 1/17/2011 to add neck attachment info.

L-2000 Bass - 6 bolt neck using ferrules.

L-2000 "Lefty" Bass - 6 bolt neck using ferrules.

L-2000 Carved Top Bass with vintage gloss neck finish (Not USA Gun Oil Tint)
6 bolt neck using ferrules.

L-2500 Bass - 6 bolt neck using ferrules.

L-2500 Carved Top Bass - 6 bolt neck using ferrules.

SB-2 Bass - 4 bolt neck neck plate.

JB-2 Bass - 6 bolt neck using ferrules.
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: G&L Basses - The Current Tribute Lineup

Postby mgward3 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 am

Hey there, I was just wondering if the current Tribute lineup has changed since this was posted. I know on the GnL website it states that the finishes available on the L2500 Tribute are Natural, Blueburst, Walnut Satin and 3TSB. I just played a black L2500 Tribute at the music store and am wondering if there are any other finishes or options available on the Tribbys? It would appear that the website is not up to date.

I'm looking at ordering up a L2500 Tribute and I would LOVE to get transparent red (or RedBurst), but, will go for the Walnut satin if the choices are limited to those listed. (If true, where did the black one come from?) Not to mention that two of the pics above show a flamed maple top, is that available on the Tributes as well or just USA made?

Looks like I'm gonna do this so I want to have my ducks in line with regards to options before I start calling around getting quotes.

mg 8-)
Last edited by mgward3 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mgward3

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:14 pm

mgward3 wrote:I'm looking at ordering up a L2500 Tribute and I would LOVE to get transparent red (or RedBurst), but, will go for the Walnut satin if the choices are limited to those listed. (If true, where did the black one come from?) Not to mention that two of the pics above show a flamed maple top, is that available on the Tributes as well or just USA made?

Trans red and redburst are USA color options not available on the Tribute bass line in any model that I am aware of. Yes, that's a disclaimer, as G&L has a reputation for changing things.

The flame maple tops are only on the carved-top L-2000 and L-2500 and only in the colors shown.

The images I show here are directly linked from the G&L website. I just checked (about 7:00 PM PDT on 7/21) and I'm as up to date here as I can find. I do not show all the colors available for each model, but you can get to that easily enough.

One of the several reasons that the Tribute line is less expensive that the USA line is that there are no custom orders. A dealer will be able to order an L-2500 for you if he doesn't have one in stock, but he may not have any leeway when it comes to finish or color. It is what it is and your dealer can give you more details on what he can do.

As far as colors go, your selection will have to come from whatever you see on the Tribute bass page on the G&L website. You should assume that the colors shown for a given model are for that model only and may not be available on another model. You will not be able to order a USA color or option on a Tribute bass, which is another reason for the price differential.

Hope this helps.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby lowgozit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:18 pm

You might look at the finish closely on the new Tribute. I recently purchased a Tribute L 2500 that you would have sworn was black in the store. They said it was blue burst, but the fading/merging of colors is so faint one really has to look hard to see the blue which is only around the pick ups, and that is a very small area. :D
Chances are if your parents did not have kids that lived, neither will you!
lowgozit

Postby LoTone » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Hello,

Does anyone knows if it is possible to buy a fretless G&L Tribute bass?

I have looked on G&L's website and I do not see any mention of fretless basses in the Tribute section of the web site and, contrary to the USA Basses section of the web site, I do not see any mention of options.

Thanks,

-- LoTone
LoTone

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am

LoTone wrote:Hello,

Does anyone knows if it is possible to buy a fretless G&L Tribute bass?

No. Fretless is not available on the Tribute line.

I have looked on G&L's website and I do not see any mention of fretless basses in the Tribute section of the web site and, contrary to the USA Basses section of the web site, I do not see any mention of options.

As I was getting at above, one of the reasons that the Tribute line is less expensive than the USA line is that there are few, if any, options. You can only get what shows on the website as available.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby BootzillaSun » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:43 am

Hi I just got my 1st G&L bass tribute l2000,I have been playing a traben Bootzilla 5string for 4yrs. I was looking to go back to 4string and came across My bass when i took a vera banjo and old key bass to Speno music in Auburn Ny.I ended up trading them for a brand new L2000 tribute and I got $300 back in my pocket .I played it threw my rocktron utopia B300 peddle and my ashdown mag300.WOW love the sound,I will not miss the great sound of my Bootzilla. Is there a place to get detailed break down on the controls so i can fully utilize all the sounds
BootzillaSun

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am

Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby sonikk440 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Question...

Will a US model L2K neck fit on a L2K Tribute model?
If so, how tough is it to obtain one?
I ask because I really like the carve-top L2K tribute, but would prefer the US neck due to its construction.

Thanks.
sonikk440

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Welcome!

sonikk440 wrote:Will a US model L2K neck fit on a L2K Tribute model?

Possibly/probably if both are fairly recent.

If so, how tough is it to obtain one?
I ask because I really like the carve-top L2K tribute, but would prefer the US neck due to its construction.

Contact repairs@glguitars.com and ask. My guess is that all it takes is money. It will not be inexpensive.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stickies