2014 * limited edition * L-1000 basses

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

2014 * limited edition * L-1000 basses

Postby fatherska » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 pm

I just discovered two brand new L-1000 basses available from a limited edition production run. They have the current L-series body shape and feature the 3-position "K" coil splitter switch (series/parallel/single coil).

Search the web for "G&L L-1000 Limited Edition 4 string bass" to see what I'm talking about.

If anybody here buys one: Please post your own pics and review here. Of course, enjoy your new instrument, too. :)
fatherska

Re: 2014 * limited edition * L-1000 basses

Postby jim.i » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Mine arrived today, first one out of the chute...

This bass is awesome, dare i say perfect?!? Feel, balance, sound, fit, finish. I would not change a single thing. Interestingly it feels lighter than 8.7 pounds, maybe (just guessing) due to less stuff i.e. another pickup and wiring, battery, etc - than the L-2000. My L-2000 is 8.8 pounds but feels noticeably heavier than the L-1000, certainly more than 1/10th of a pound actual. Seems logical to assume less parts = less weight and resulting effect on balance. All stock other than premium finish blond ("Mary Kaye") on ash. Rosewood board, white pearl dots, satin neck finish.

The #12 neck is a perfect compromise for me between too thin and too wide. I don't know what the radius is for the #12, probably listed on the G&L bass options webpage. Enough depth to feel full in the hand but streamlined and in no way chunky feeling. Whatever -- it just feels GOOD.

3-way switch is bridge position/series, but i'm not sure which mid and neck positions are parallel and single-coil. They sound somewhat different but i don't know which is which - but certainly the series bridge setting is obvious.

I will make one "would like to see a change" comment however - about the hard case. The body cutout is quite large, rectangular. There is ALOT of free play with the instrument in there (dealer packed it securely). Would be nice if G&L could form-fit the body cutout to closer tolerances. I'd certainly cover an extra 20 bucks or whatever that might add to the overall cost, can't imagine it would be THAT much once the initial mold was done.

Ken, i decided to post in this thread since it is dedicated to the L-1000, please feel free to move to G&L basses, tho i do have an earlier post there.
Jim
Attachments
G&L-L1000-FIRST-TWO-IN-SHOWROOM-700.jpg
G&L-L1000-FIRST-TWO-IN-SHOWROOM-700.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 11542 times
Last edited by jim.i on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim.i

Postby bhunt1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Great review Jim thanks :) There's something about the simplicity of the 1K that is very appealing. You get a lot of different tones with easy adjustments. Glad you dig it - can't wait to get mine!
bhunt1

Postby jim.i » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks Brian, i added a few more details, kept thinking of more to mention. You should now be even more looking forward to your delivery.

bhunt1 wrote:Great review Jim thanks :) There's something about the simplicity of the 1K that is very appealing. You get a lot of different tones with easy adjustments. Glad you dig it - can't wait to get mine!
jim.i

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:30 pm

The radius is easy to remember Jim, it's 12" on the #12!
bdgotoh

Postby jim.i » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:48 pm

I will actually be able to remember that :lol:

bdgotoh wrote:The radius is easy to remember Jim, it's 12" on the #12!
jim.i

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

jim.i wrote:Ken, i decided to post in this thread since it is dedicated to the L-1000, please feel free to move to G&L basses, tho i do have an earlier post there.
Jim

No problem at all. In fact, let's Sticky this one for awhile.

Congrats on the new bass, Jim. Looks great.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby fatherska » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:36 am

Jim, that's a beautiful looking instrument. Congratulations. I hope you have a great time playing it.

Your reported uncertainty about the three-position pickup switch makes me curious. When the L-1000 bass was in regular production, the 'coil splitter' switch was described as offering 'humbucking' and 'single-coil' and 'single-coil with bass boost'. If I interpret your description correctly, none of the three positions on your bass offers clear and certain bass boost. Correct?
fatherska

Postby jim.i » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks very much, i consider myself pretty fortunate with this one and hope everyone else who ordered one feels the same.

Yes, i would say you are correct. The series position is that huge rich full-on MFD sound but i wouldn't call it "bass boost" in comparison to the other two settings. These two still sound great, with plenty of bass, not at all thin. I *think* the center position is single-coil, and the neck position is parallel. Center has slightly more bite to it which makes me think it is the single-coil. The neck position is slightly fuller. I find the difference is subtle, but noticeable. When Brad "bdgotoh" gets his L-1000 (and L-1005!) hopefully he will chime in about the switch settings, he is much more experienced and knowledgeable than i am. Are you anywhere near Sacramento in Northern Cal? If so you can check the bass out in person - let me know!

fatherska wrote:Jim, that's a beautiful looking instrument. Congratulations. I hope you have a great time playing it.

Your reported uncertainty about the three-position pickup switch makes me curious. When the L-1000 bass was in regular production, the 'coil splitter' switch was described as offering 'humbucking' and 'single-coil' and 'single-coil with bass boost'. If I interpret your description correctly, none of the three positions on your bass offers clear and certain bass boost. Correct?
jim.i

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

I will certainly weigh in when I get mine, I've had original L-1000s and had two of the BABP Limited L-1000s so I'm very familiar with the classic L1000 wiring and tones. I figure if I don't like the wiring on mine I can easily change it to the classic switch options.

In the meantime I'm getting squirmy having to wait for mine and watching all these great L-1000/L-1005s rolling out of the factory! Anyone know why G&L isn't posting any of these or the BassNW L-1000s on their facebook page? I would think they'd want to brag about the cool rare basses they're currently working on.
bdgotoh

Next

Return to Stickies