Ask Paul Gagon. You did and he answered. See the last post.

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

Re: Ask Paul Gagon

Postby DamoMan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 am

two questions

1. When are the answers coming? :D

2. As someone not yet part of the G&L family (but getting very close to placing my first order for a USA :)) G&L seem to be a little unique in the market, sort of straddling the line between custom shop and factory. My question is, has there ever been any thought to getting a little more 'custom shop' about it (maybe adding in a guy to do custom quotes) for things like custom/personalised wiring options, custom windings on the pickups, wider selection of exotic woods, etc?...from my perspective, I would really love to be able to get an L-2000 with coil taps on each pickup from the factory, rather than try it myself and break something, or take the ideas to tech who may not be as good as the guys at the factory...just a lot more peace of mind having options/custom work taken care of in the factory.

Cheers

Damo
DamoMan

Postby Deano » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 am

Any L2000 can be ordered with something called K wiring, which allows single coil operation of the pickups, along with the standard series or parallel humbucking. I don't think there is any extra charge for this.
Deano

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 am

I was hoping for more action from this, but it's been a month.

Let's sew this up. I'll close this thread down on Friday the 25th and submit questions to Paul at that time.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 am

Any possibility of a fretless Tribute?
TDR1138

Postby DamoMan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Yep I'm aware of k switch. My l2000 will have this option. I'd get 2 switches (one for each pickup) from the factory if I could.

And just thinking of other custom options as well
DamoMan

Postby DamoMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am

Just thought of another question.

3. How about a 2+2 tiltback headstock for bass?

I saw a yt clip that showed Leo was indeed thinking about a tiltback headstock design for g and l
DamoMan

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:34 pm

....and Joe finally emerges from perpetual lurk mode. :mrgreen:

Hello Mr. Baker...long time, no see! Nothing like the threat of a thread closure to make me try to figure out what to ask...

Well Mr. Gagon...how about:

1) ASAT 5-string in M spec (M-ASAT?).
2) Bringing back the MFD pickups in the style of the old El Toro (just played mine this afternoon and thought of this). Also, an El Toro re-issue...in a 5-string?
3) ...and finally, since I play 4,5, and 6 string basses....any thoughts on making any G&L bass model in a 6-string version?

It will be interesting to see if any thing comes about when I go to NAMM next year.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Okay then. Thanks to all who posted questions. I'll re-read them and pass the choiciest one to Paul. I'll see if I can come up with responses for any that don't make the cut.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Sorry for the delay. Life and day jobs sometimes get in the way of all this fun and frivolity.

Below is what I passed on to Paul. I think everyone got something in, in one form or another.

================================================================

Any chance of an M-1500 or M-1505?

If there were an M-150x, would/could it have a series/parallel function?

Speaking of the M Series and the series/parallel switch. Other than losing the switch, what was the thinking behind making the M-2000 and M-2500 series only?

Has there ever been any thought to making a single-coil MFD for bass, not like the ones on the SB-2, but rather, like half of one of the L-series pickups?

How about a little more info on the Hamiltone MFDs.... Like, what makes them different, what didn't Tom like about the normal MFDs (or what was he trying to change), and will they ever be available in something less sparkly?

Was wondering if you experimented with the M series pre-amp on the SB-2?

G&L seem to be a little unique in the market, sort of straddling the line between custom shop and factory. My question is, has there ever been any thought to getting a little more 'custom shop' about it (maybe adding in a guy to do custom quotes) for things like custom/personalised wiring options, custom windings on the pickups, wider selection of exotic woods, etc?

Any chance for an ASAT 5-string or in M spec (M-ASAT?)?

Has there been any though to bringing back the MFD pickups in the style of the old El Toro. Also, an El Toro re-issue...in a 5-string?

I know we talked about this, but delving deeper into the Acoustimax as a bass tool is interesting. If it isn't seeing wide use as a tool for acoustic guitarists (for whatever reason), why not re-purpose and re-wrap it as a piece for the bass arsenal. There are others out there, (SansAmp, Eden, Radial), but none have the Sonic Maximizer.

Finally, football plate jack. 'Nuf said!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Lemme see if I can handle some of these:

TDR1138 wrote:Any chance of a P/J pickup configuration option on either the JB or LB-100? (i.e. a P/J with AlNiCo pickups and not MFDs)

I don't think it's is being looked at. This is pretty well covered by the SB-2, which is unique to the platform with its MFD pickups.

GeorgeB wrote:Full shield jobs (at least as an upcharge option). I think noise problems from lack of electrostatic shielding are reported quite frequently for US basses and guitars while the Tributes have at least partial shielding. Pickups themselves might be included, an outer conductive shield (split-type to avoid eddy current losses) plus grounded pole pieces if any possible (and 4-wire shielded conductor cables would be nice to have). There shouldn't be any significant change in hum/buzz no matter if you have skin contact (via grounded strings, bridge, knobs) or not. Ideally, today's guitars should be fully RF-proof as well, to the extent as not getting upset by cell phones etc nearby.
I know from experience that this is a tough call.... but any improvement on the current state of things would certainly help come closer.

This is a tough call. Full cavity shielding is usually handled (yeah, I know) with shielding paint. There is a history of spottiness here, but they're continually looking at it from a QA/QC standpoint. Anything done to reject EMI/RF using electronics wouldn't be impossible to implement, but it would add to the cost due to development and implementation. It's also important to consider where the instruments are played. In a live setting, which is really noisy in anyone's book, EMI/RF rejection isn't important. In a recording studio it is important and is handled outboard of the instrument. A bedroom player might like his/her axe to be silent, and that's going to be too narrow a market to be worth implementing wide scale.

GeorgeB wrote:Could even use the same control layout with the blend pot location used for sweepable/switchable center frequencies for the mid EQ.

One of the design ideas behind the M Series was to reduce the confusion and intimidation presented by the three switches of the L Series, thinking simple is better.

TDR1138 wrote:Any possibility of a fretless Tribute?

Never say never, especially with G&L, but I doubt it.

DamoMan wrote:How about a 2+2 tiltback headstock for bass?

It's already done with the Tribute Ascari and Fiorano guitars. I personally doubt we'll see it on the bass side due to strength concerns. There's a lot of tension on a bass neck, and the neck/headstock joint of a tilt-back - even with a sizable volute - is a problem. Ask the Gibson guys.

jshilgebass wrote:...and finally, since I play 4,5, and 6 string basses....any thoughts on making any G&L bass model in a 6-string version?

I thought they were being pretty liberal with 5 strings!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stickies