Ask Paul Gagon. You did and he answered. See the last post.

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

Re: Ask Paul Gagon

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Done! I'll quote in Paul responses just under each question.

================================================================

Any chance of an M-1500 or M-1505?

Paul Gagon wrote:Yes! We have several new projects that we are working on and these are two of them.

If there were an M-150x, would/could it have a series/parallel function?

Paul Gagon wrote:It could of course have the switch but we have been trying to keep the M series clean looking with just controls.

Speaking of the M Series and the series/parallel switch. Other than losing the switch, what was the thinking behind making the M-2000 and M-2500 series only?

Paul Gagon wrote:The thinking was to keep the bass very clean looking and simple to navigate. Also, the pickups on the M series are wound lighter to give a more balanced frequency response......you know...... a bit less of the standard G&L mid punch that L series guys love so much. The reason for this is because these lighter wound pickups work much better with the M series preamp and made the 3 band EQ section very responsive. And finally, These lighter wound pickups didn't sound that good when wired in parallel so we just configured them in series only.

Has there ever been any thought to making a single-coil MFD for bass, not like the ones on the SB-2, but rather, like half of one of the L-series pickups?

Paul Gagon wrote:Absolutely! I have one on my desk right now. Not sure where it will end up but it's high on my "gotta have this one" list.

Ken Baker wrote:Yup. I've seen the coil in question. Just looking for covers. And a home.

How about a little more info on the Hamiltone MFDs.... Like, what makes them different, what didn't Tom like about the normal MFDs (or what was he trying to change), and will they ever be available in something less sparkly?

Paul Gagon wrote:Tom Hamilton was so much fun to work with. He is such a cool dude and spent hours listening to various winding specs on the L series MFDs. Tom preferred a little less mid bark on his bass so we ended up reducing the windings on Toms pickups by around 5%. At the moment we have no plans to offer the Hamiltone on other basses.

Was wondering if you experimented with the M series pre-amp on the SB-2?

Paul Gagon wrote:Yep! The M series preamp has been evaluated on all ours and some other people's basses too. Know what? By adjusting the preamps input gain and pickup loading, any passive pickup setup can benefit from It.

G&L seem to be a little unique in the market, sort of straddling the line between custom shop and factory. My question is, has there ever been any thought to getting a little more 'custom shop' about it (maybe adding in a guy to do custom quotes) for things like custom/personalised wiring options, custom windings on the pickups, wider selection of exotic woods, etc?

Paul Gagon wrote:We're about as Custom Shop as we can effectively be at the moment. We do some pretty wild stuff and we are always looking at what we can do to make our instruments more exotic and interesting.

Any chance for an ASAT 5-string or in M spec (M-ASAT?)?

Paul Gagon wrote:Both are on the to do list. Ahhhh........so many cool projects......so little time.

Has there been any thought to bringing back the MFD pickups in the style of the old El Toro. Also, an El Toro re-issue...in a 5-string?

Paul Gagon wrote:Some thought, yes. This project is just a bit further down on the list.

I know we (Paul & Ken) talked about this, but delving deeper into the Acoustimax as a bass tool is interesting. If it isn't seeing wide use as a tool for acoustic guitarists (for whatever reason), why not re-purpose and re-wrap it as a piece for the bass arsenal. There are others out there, (SansAmp, Eden, Radial), but none have the Sonic Maximizer.

Paul Gagon wrote:I would love to repackage the Acoustimax as a bass unit. If I was to do this, how about collecting a wish list from your bass players buddies on what they would like to see.

Finally, football plate jack. 'Nuf said!

Paul Gagon wrote:I couldn't agree more. Working on it.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Ask Paul Gagon. You did and he answered. See the last po

Postby TDR1138 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks to Ken for setting this up and to Paul for the quick answers.

Now to wait for all the cool projects to shape up... :D
TDR1138

Postby tunaman4u2 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 am

I'm very late to the game here but I just wanted to see if a JB-2 SB-2 or a MJ4 in a fiver with the #10 neck is possible. There are exactly ZERO split coil or single coil basses with 17.5mm spacing. Since this is the standard spacing on EBMMs, Jazz basses, G&L ASAT & 2500s, many like myself are accustomed to this spacing & we cant move to 19mm from Sadowsky, Lull, Carvin, Fender etc. I've been searching for months & its a completely custom build.

Just a FYI...

I'd be the 1st in line no doubt.
tunaman4u2

Postby Ken Baker » Wed May 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Welcome!

The Ask Paul Gagon Q&A is closed.

tunaman4u2 wrote:I'm very late to the game here but I just wanted to see if a JB-2 SB-2 or a MJ4 in a fiver with the #10 neck is possible. There are exactly ZERO split coil or single coil basses with 17.5mm spacing. Since this is the standard spacing on EBMMs, Jazz basses, G&L ASAT & 2500s, many like myself are accustomed to this spacing & we cant move to 19mm from Sadowsky, Lull, Carvin, Fender etc. I've been searching for months & its a completely custom build.

Just a FYI...

I'd be the 1st in line no doubt.

You're preaching to the choir.

Read around a bit. You'll find that an MJ-5 is in development. It'll use the standard G&L 5 string bridge.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Kostaboda » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:55 pm

is there any chance ever of a new asat bass 5 string?

I would throw my wallet at G&l for one
Kostaboda

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:51 pm

You gotta read the post at the top of this page.

Paul Gagon wrote:Both are on the to do list. Ahhhh........so many cool projects......so little time.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Kostaboda » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 am

Ken Baker wrote:You gotta read the post at the top of this page.

Ken...

sorry

that's awesome news though, can't wait!
Kostaboda

Previous

Return to Stickies