Oddities, anomalies, and assorted head scratchers

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

Re: Oddities, anomalies, and assorted head scratchers

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

fatherska wrote:Follow-up question: If I understand TDR1138 correctly, I could have my L-1500 preamp on without the treble boost either by replacing the resistor as suggested or by changing the cap on the tone pot as suggested. Also, changing the cap on the tone pot might actually be better. Correct?

I think he's saying that you could do either or both. Replacing R7 will change the overall voicing of the preamp to that of an L-2000/2500/ASAT preamp. Changing the treble cap will allow for more treble cut. It's kind of a balancing act. If you wanted to go L-2000 style, you'd replace R7 with the 22k resistor AND replace the treble cap with an .047mfd (which is what the L-2000 has).

Supplementary question: I know what it means to replace a potentiometer. When you refer changing the cap on the tone pot, what do you actually mean? (i.e. How is that done?)

This should help:

Look right in the middle of the drawing. See the pot labeled "TREB"? That little rectangle with the .022 in it is the treble cap. You'd carefully desolder it and replace it with the value cap you want, soldering the new one in just like the old one. They are not polarized, so orientation doesn't matter. .047mfd 50v or .1mfd 50v would be appropriate.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 am

"Changing the cap on the tone pot" would make a whole lot more sense if we didn't shorten "capacitor" to "cap"
:geek:

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 am

Yes, "cap" meaning capacitor. Sorry. I'm lazy. :D

If you like the sound of it as it is, changing the R7 resistor will give you more of a transparent boost. Less high end sizzle than you're used to, boosting the frequencies fairly uniformly.

Changing the capacitor on the tone pot will not change the boosted frequencies on the preamp. What it will do is let you boost it with the normal ton of high end (if you still have it with R7 at stock value), but you can roll off the high end with the tone control to a different level/frequency. Personally, I thought the .022uf capacitor made the bass a little "honky" when rolling back the treble. With the .1uf capacitor in place, more treble will roll off to produce a darker tone, which, when combined with the boost of the stock preamp, balances out quite well IMO.
TDR1138

Postby deltafred » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 am

TDR1138 wrote:Yes, "cap" meaning capacitor. Sorry. I'm lazy. :D

I'm not getting at you, I am as guilty/lazy as anyone else!
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Is it capacitater? The electrical spud?

:roll:

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby *JusJus* » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:34 pm

I have an odd one or atleast its an odd one to me.

My LB100 has a 1989 serial number even though they didnt officially start making them until 1992. Obviously they had to start designing and figuring out what they were going to release a year or two before so that could be what the deal is with my bass and that it was just a early proto or early test version of it or something in that realm or I could be way off and its nothing of that sort. But when I asked the guys at G&L to tell me what it was they said that my serial number was a duplicate and their records only showed it as a natual ash body ASTAT bass produced in 1990 and couldnt help me any more past that and just said that strange things used to happen like that back then and to ask here in the G&L Bass Forum. It also has a 3bolt neck when I think the LB100 always came with a 4bolt neck. But I am not sure since I have limited knowledge of G&L's and I havent seen that many other older LB100's and have never actually met anyone that has owned one to ask or compare mine with. Also when did they get rid of the Neck Tilt Mechanism, I heard they did shortly after they sold the company in 1991? True? I dont know, any info or answers I can get would be awesome! Thanks. Love this place
Attachments
G&L 1.jpg
Here is my baby
G&L 1.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
*JusJus*

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Welcome!

*JusJus* wrote:I have an odd one or atleast its an odd one to me.

My LB100 has a 1989 serial number even though they didnt officially start making them until 1992. Obviously they had to start designing and figuring out what they were going to release a year or two before so that could be what the deal is with my bass and that it was just a early proto or early test version of it or something in that realm or I could be way off and its nothing of that sort. But when I asked the guys at G&L to tell me what it was they said that my serial number was a duplicate and their records only showed it as a natual ash body ASTAT bass produced in 1990 and couldnt help me any more past that and just said that strange things used to happen like that back then and to ask here in the G&L Bass Forum. It also has a 3bolt neck when I think the LB100 always came with a 4bolt neck. But I am not sure since I have limited knowledge of G&L's and I havent seen that many other older LB100's and have never actually met anyone that has owned one to ask or compare mine with. Also when did they get rid of the Neck Tilt Mechanism, I heard they did shortly after they sold the company in 1991? True? I dont know, any info or answers I can get would be awesome! Thanks. Love this place

What guys at G&L? AFAIK, there are no logs that would be available to them from that time and G&L doesn't look into their current logs for owners. Perhaps you mean someone from the GuitarsByLeo website checked the Registry. That site is "closer" to the factory than we are here at BassesByLeo, but I don't think they have any more access to logs than I do. The Registry is a user-maintained database of G&L instruments. What is your serial number? I'd be interested to see what it shows. Also know that there should be date stamps on the neck heel and/or body pocket, and these are a fairly accurate indicator of build date.

The early LB-100 basses and the Legacy bass that preceded it had 3 bolt necks with the Precision Tilt adjuster. G&L started moving away from 3 bolt necks in the basses about 10 years ago, and now all the basses have either 6 or 4 screws. The current LB-100, a recent re-visitation, has a 6 bolt neck.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Stickies