M-2000 Review by an admittedly vintage-biased guy...

This is the place for many long-running stickies that aren't as timely as they once were. They're still worth having near the top of something, but not when that something gets cluttered with too many stickies.

Re: M-2000 Review by an admittedly vintage-biased guy...

Postby 64 skylark mike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:28 pm

OK, cool...Ken it is! :lol:

Thanks for explaining about the series/parallel settings.

And yes, the amp I mentioned is a Fender Studio Bass amp, 1977 and I am the original owner. 200 w RMS tube 1-15 combo. It was a great amp I used to use with my old p-bass. It didn't seem to like my active bass too much though. Curious how many guys here have had or seen one of these. Before that I had an even older Fender Bassman with piggy back head and 2-12 cab. Enough reminiscing :D

Thanks to the board and some digging around, I am finding a lot more info to help me decide between these two models. Ed Friedland's comparison video you had linked here was great!

The closest G&L dealer to me is 80 miles, and they don't stock USA models, so all I have been able to get my hands on is a M-2000 Tribute. So I am relying on guys like yourself along with G&L site etc. to learn all I can.

I saw in one of the threads here that a USA model can be ordered with any finish or options G&L offers. I can picture an M-2000 USA with flame top and finish like the GTS, sporting a maple fretboard and maple finished headstock. Local dealer says it can't be ordered that way. Then I asked about gloss black with white body binding, still no. Looks like closest I can get is a USA that looks like the black Tribute, which is a great looking guitar.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input. I welcome any volunteer input also, I'm sure there are some things I don't know I need to ask about.

Have a good day,

Michael
64 skylark mike

Postby jfh4242 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:02 am

Hello gang!

As I said earlier in this thread, I bought an M Trib in July. I own 7 G&Ls basses, I bought this one new, super cheap and it is the bass I use now for almost everything. I never thought a bass would force me off of my L2000s, but it did.

Be careful with the M, ladies and gents. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Really snuck up on me.

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby 64 skylark mike » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Well, I pulled the trigger Thursday and ordered an M-2000 USA model!! Gloss black body with binding, maple fret board, clear gloss neck finish including headstock. Part of my decision was due to the info I read here on the board, thanks everybody for your posts both recent and past.

This will be my first G&L and I am pretty excited. My dealer says he gets orders in at around 4 weeks most times, so I am hoping to have it in my hands by Christmas. We shall see.

I will post pics once I get it.

What is the usual waiting period some of you have experienced? I'm not getting my hopes up too much on 4 weeks delivery.

Have a great weekend,

Michael
64 skylark mike

Postby bhunt1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:53 am

Cool specs can't wait to see pics :) I ordered a G&L in June of this year (L1005) and I got it in July, a little less than 4 weeks. It does vary though, so it's good not to get hopes up - hard not to do tho
bhunt1

Postby 64 skylark mike » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks bhunt1, sounds a little encouraging on delivery time! Is your new bass in the pictures thread? I may have seen it, as I have looked through most all of the pics there, a lot of beautiful instruments for sure!

Michael
64 skylark mike

Previous

Return to Stickies