Tuner pedal recommendation

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

Tuner pedal recommendation

Postby jim.i » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:45 pm

Can anyone recommend a quality accurate simple AC-powered floor/stomp tuner pedal?

Ideally with large bright enough display for daytime, mute function when engaged, and true bypass.

Don't need battery power or gazillion (or even several) tuning modes though adjustable pitch +/- A440 would be nice. Will only be used with 4-string bass guitar std. tuning.
jim.i

Re: Tuner pedal recommendation

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:52 pm

I've always used Peterson tuners and have essentially no experience with others, though there are some good ones available that are not Peterson. I haven't bought a tuner in years and still use the iStrobosoft app on my iPhone.

Having said that, here's their current stomp tuner.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jim.i » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:18 pm

Thanks Ken i will check this out. Does the iPhone app actually work in a gig setting; ambient noise doesn't interfere? And i assume you don't mute your bass, the iPhone has to "hear" it?
Jim

Ken Baker wrote:I've always used Peterson tuners and have essentially no experience with others, though there are some good ones available that are not Peterson. I haven't bought a tuner in years and still use the iStrobosoft app on my iPhone.

Having said that, here's their current stomp tuner.

Ken...
jim.i

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:55 pm

jim.i wrote:Thanks Ken i will check this out. Does the iPhone app actually work in a gig setting; ambient noise doesn't interfere? And i assume you don't mute your bass, the iPhone has to "hear" it?
Jim

The app might be more hassle than it's worth at a gig. There is an adapter that allows plugging into the phone, but that would be un-handy when gigging. Ambient noise at a gig would be a deal breaker.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jim.i » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Okey dokey, thanks again Ken. I'll keep the Peterson Stomp in mind if i don't come up with anything else.

Ken Baker wrote:
jim.i wrote:Thanks Ken i will check this out. Does the iPhone app actually work in a gig setting; ambient noise doesn't interfere? And i assume you don't mute your bass, the iPhone has to "hear" it?
Jim

The app might be more hassle than it's worth at a gig. There is an adapter that allows plugging into the phone, but that would be un-handy when gigging. Ambient noise at a gig would be a deal breaker.

Ken...
jim.i

Postby jglunt2112 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:34 am

Here's another option: I've been using an older version of this pedal for about 5 years. No problems, and it doesn't alter my tone in any way that I can tell. Looks like it meets your criteria. It even tunes the low B on my 5-string accurately, which many tuners don't seem to like doing. AC adapter sells separately, but it does run off battery if needed.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... uner-pedal
jglunt2112

Postby jim.i » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:54 am

This may be the ticket, thanks.

jglunt2112 wrote:Here's another option: I've been using an older version of this pedal for about 5 years. No problems, and it doesn't alter my tone in any way that I can tell. Looks like it meets your criteria. It even tunes the low B on my 5-string accurately, which many tuners don't seem to like doing. AC adapter sells separately, but it does run off battery if needed.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... uner-pedal
jim.i

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm

My old Peterson StroboStomp (v1) finally bit the dust. Not the actual tuner, but the crappy construction and jacks.

So being a good Peterson fanboi, I bought the new model. MUCH better quality - real metal jacks! Heavy duty case. Nice.

I'll still use the iStroboStomp here at the house. Just easier for headphone amp playing.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jim.i » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:12 am

Thanks for this Ken. It's unlikely i'll be playing out of the house anymore (and always used a tuner pedal) so the clip-on "UniTune" has been adequate.
Jim

Ken Baker wrote:My old Peterson StroboStomp (v1) finally bit the dust. Not the actual tuner, but the crappy construction and jacks.

So being a good Peterson fanboi, I bought the new model. MUCH better quality - real metal jacks! Heavy duty case. Nice.

I'll still use the iStroboStomp here at the house. Just easier for headphone amp playing.

Ken...
jim.i

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm

The BOSS TU3 and TU3W are industry standards. Both have a bright option that will still pop in direct sunlight.
The Waza version also has a great buffer, plus selectable true bypass.
bigtone23

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff