GHS Boomers 50-115 bass strings

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

GHS Boomers 50-115 bass strings

Postby reformedrummer » Tue May 18, 2010 7:10 pm

I just put some ghs boomers heavy 50-115 on my '90's SB-1. Boy howdy! Could the output be any hotter? Those fat strings dancing in that magnetic field shook the house. I have never put that heavy a guage on any bass... ever. I had to file the nut and adjust the truss rod and the intonation. But hey, you only live once. Why not try new things(strings)?
reformedrummer

Re: GHS Boomers 50-115 bass strings

Postby glbass » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

With the new strings, did you make everything in the China cabinet dance around?
glbass

Postby VileRedFalcon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 am

I think that I had a set of those on an old P bass. I went to GC and said "gimmie the heaviest thing you've got!" I'm pretty sure I used them on a recording through a SVT and a 4x10 and got a super gutsy tone. I got 'em because I was doing a lot of fast picking, and I was hammerin my smaller strings to death. they're big, but cool! congrats!
VileRedFalcon

Postby Son_of_Mogh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:00 am

I love this set with those exact guages - G&L and GHS perfect together!
Son_of_Mogh

Postby Ricardo X » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I know that setup sounds great. I used to use that very same set on a mid-eighties SB-1. The Boomers are a lot easier on the frets than Rotosound Swing Bass steel rounds, and the consistency from set to set is also much better. Sometime around 1999 I tried a set of the DR coated strings of similar gauge and eventually changed over to the Red Devils. I found them to have less finger noise and they last months instead of weeks. Of course, your technique is likely better than mine and finger noise may not be an issue for you. If your EQ is sufficiently selective, most finger noise can be reduced by notching approximately 6dB broadly around 2.4KHz without adversely effecting the overall tone. Slam on!
Ricardo X

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff