L2000/L1500 pre-amp - into a power amp?

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

L2000/L1500 pre-amp - into a power amp?

Postby Cuzzie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:03 am

Guys,

Apologies if this is a really thick question.......

As ever been looking at my rig and wondering if i may consider downsizing and getting rid of my large head and getting a micro power amp like a Demeter 800D.

Now i have 2-3 pre-amp pedals in a Two notes Le Bass, a Hartke VXL Bass Attack and a Darkglass B7k amongst other pedals which i use to shape my tone. I am pretty sure i can go from one of them into the power amp into a cabinet speaker.

Couple of questions.

Is the pre-amp on the basses enough to go straight into the power amp and then Cab to give a pure sound?

If i went bass into a pre-amp pedal would the power amp have to be next in line in the chain after the pre-amp pedal, or can there be another pedal like an ISP decimator which i use to get rid of some of the distortion noise, or have my compressor right at the end of the chain?

Thanks guys
Cuzzie

Re: L2000/L1500 pre-amp - into a power amp?

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 am

I'm going to move this to Amps & Gear & Stuff.

There is a great deal of "Your Mileage May Vary" to this. It all depends on the combination of a particular bass & a particular power amp. Most power amps expect to be fed by a line level device, such as a preamp (mic, instrument, etc), and not directly from an instrument, either active or passive. It should work if the active instrument has a strong enough output and the power amp has a flexible enough input. The only way to really know is to try, though calling the power amp manufacturer might shed some light.

Cuzzie wrote:If i went bass into a pre-amp pedal would the power amp have to be next in line in the chain after the pre-amp pedal, or can there be another pedal like an ISP decimator which i use to get rid of some of the distortion noise, or have my compressor right at the end of the chain?

Assuming it works, you'll want your entire signal chain, bass & all pedals, ahead of the amp.

Another thing to consider might be using a preamp, either traditional or pedal, directly into a powered PA speaker. The players that I've talked to who do this report that they get a more HiFi sound out of their rig because the speaker and amp combination are designed to be full range with little sound coloration. I've even heard of folks going direct from an active bass to the powered speaker. Of course, this would be something you'd want to test before throwing money at it.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

I tried my L-2500 straight into a Peavey IPR1600 PA amp (.775v RMS for full output) while I was deciding which preamp to get. There was insufficient output to drive the amp fully so volume was limited.

I then added a preamp (no tone controls) with a fixed gain of x1.6 which drove the amp as loud as I needed, probably not to full output. It sounded OK but I really missed the tone shaping and there is only so much you can do with the L series tone controls.

I eventually decided on an ART Pro Channel II (which is what Ken has I seem to think).

(That got superseded by a GK MB800 about 2 years ago because I got tired of schlepping a 4 space rack that was almost as big as my cab (fEARful 12/6).)
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Cuzzie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks for that @deltafred.

Current GAS vortex is sending me towards a Jule Amp M700. Not ready to pull any triggers but like having plans just in case!

Think I read somewhere it's actually sensitive enough to have a bass straight in, but in general I am always going to have some form of pre-amp whatever
Cuzzie

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff