Prices for used bass gear

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

Prices for used bass gear

Postby jfh4242 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 am

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking to unload some bass gear. However, I am not sure how much some of this gear is worth, used. I was wondering what you guys use as a barometer for the price of your gear when you want to sell.

I have heard that there is a way to see completed Ebay sales, but I don't know how to do that. Can someone here help me?

Also, is there some kind of generally agreed upon guide for the value of used bass gear? I suspect not, but I thought I would pool the general knowledge base in this great forum. I know that some people here do a certain amount of flipping of gear. How do you guys determine your price?

Thank you!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Re: Prices for used bass gear

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:54 pm

I generally work in the parameters of 50-80% of the original retail price, depending on condition, with about 65% being average. If I were looking to sell a $1000 bass, I'd start at $650 for one in average condition, a little more if it's pristine and a little less if it's pretty beat.
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:41 pm

jfh4242 wrote:I am currently looking to unload some bass gear. However, I am not sure how much some of this gear is worth, used. I was wondering what you guys use as a barometer for the price of your gear when you want to sell.

What TDR1138 said.

I have heard that there is a way to see completed Ebay sales, but I don't know how to do that. Can someone here help me?

Start by entering in your search criteria which will show every hit. Then, in the column of choices in the left sidebar near the bottom, select "Completed listings".

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 am

jfh4242 wrote:Hello everyone!

I am currently looking to unload some bass gear. However, I am not sure how much some of this gear is worth, used. I was wondering what you guys use as a barometer for the price of your gear when you want to sell.

Also, is there some kind of generally agreed upon guide for the value of used bass gear? I suspect not, but I thought I would pool the general knowledge base in this great forum. I know that some people here do a certain amount of flipping of gear. How do you guys determine your price?

Thank you!

John

I'm looking for a Genzler Magellan. Or maybe a Mesa D800?? Let me know if one of those items is on your sell list.
Mr. Mom

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 am

Also, I use TalkBass quite often. Check there for an idea of what your stuff might be worth.
Mr. Mom

Postby jfh4242 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:06 am

Hello!

I won't be responding to posts about about specific items.

I've checked things out on TB too. I have an idea about asking prices. I'm more curious about prices that things actually sell for.

I'll check out eBay completed listings, now that I know how. Thanks!

Take care!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:I'm looking for a Genzler Magellan. Or maybe a Mesa D800?? Let me know if one of those items is on your sell list.

PMs, lads, PMs.

This ain't no bazaar, it's Amps & Gear & Stuff.

Thankyouverymuch.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Oh, I should also state, I base this on the actual average floor/selling price of a piece of gear, NOT MSRP.

I can't stand it when people have ads up that say things like, "MSRP is $1899, so I'll let it go for $1400. Save $500!" when I could buy the same damn thing new for $1349. Welcome to the digital age. You're smart enough to find the MSRP, so you probably stumbled across 50 retailers selling it for less. And anyone with half a brain looking to buy would see the same thing. You're only fooling yourself, bud. <end rant>

TDR1138 wrote:I generally work in the parameters of 50-80% of the original retail price, depending on condition, with about 65% being average. If I were looking to sell a $1000 bass, I'd start at $650 for one in average condition, a little more if it's pristine and a little less if it's pretty beat.
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:40 pm

TDR1138 wrote:I can't stand it when people have ads up that say things like, "MSRP is $1899, so I'll let it go for $1400. Save $500!" when I could buy the same damn thing new for $1349. Welcome to the digital age. You're smart enough to find the MSRP, so you probably stumbled across 50 retailers selling it for less. And anyone with half a brain looking to buy would see the same thing. You're only fooling yourself, bud. <end rant>

Excellent rant, and you're absolutely right.

Then they get all pissy when you call 'em on it or offer an otherwise reasonable price. Screw it. I don't need the item that bad.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:13 am

Ken Baker wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:I'm looking for a Genzler Magellan. Or maybe a Mesa D800?? Let me know if one of those items is on your sell list.

PMs, lads, PMs.

This ain't no bazaar, it's Amps & Gear & Stuff.

Thankyouverymuch.

Ken...

Sorry. I get all excited when fresh cuts of meat are put under the glass case.

jfh4242, you've been PMed.
Mr. Mom

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff