Home recording of L2500 . Low budget version.

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

Home recording of L2500 . Low budget version.

Postby wazdabaz » Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 am

Hello g&l lovers! Could someone enlighten me please?
I own a Tribute L2500 (indonesian) and I wish to make some home cubase bass recording with the best results possible. My PC is dual-core 64bit and my audio interface is a creative soundblaster audigy 2 platinum ex (the one with an external module).
The soundcard has two inputs for recording each described exactly as:
1.Line In 1 / Mic In jack, for line sources (electric guitar) or dynamic microphones.
2.Line In 2 jack for analogue devices like synthesizers and other line-level sources.
(The Line In/Mic jack has a sensitivity knob for controlling mic input level)

I also own an EBS Microbass2 preamp-DI that offers balanced output(xlr) and a standard instrument output jack.
I do not own a bass amp at the moment.

What would you suggest is the best way to connect and get the best out of the hot output of the L2500? The bass track will be used in full band projects, so I think I 'm looking for good dry source.
Will it be necessary to use a software-amp plugin to get the finest result (or maybe a compression plugin)?
And finally, if I get a bass head of 500w or 1000w, will my field of basshomerecording be improved in any way, considering the PC/soundcard configuration?

(I do run the bass at 80% volume max, 60%treble and 80%bass. or lower sometimes, still not satisfied enough of how 'rich/open' the dry bass sounds in cubase, I always feel I can do better)

Thank you,
Alex
wazdabaz

Re: Home recording of L2500 . Low budget version.

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Low budget? Cool.

The DI should act as an impedance matcher of sorts, so I think you'd do well to use it. I also think I'd connect to Line-2 IN rather than Line 1. From there, it's anyone's guess as to what the bass will sound like, but it'll probably sound like an L-2500.

As to levels and EQ on the EBS, you'll have to experiment to see what works best. I'd start with EQ flat and levels kinda in the middle, then branch out from there.

Of course, the fly in the ointment is output to input. The EBS can output from its balanced side (XLR) and/or its unblanaced side (1/4"). The SB inputs are both unbalanced. If the 1/4" out on the EBS is a true DI out and not a simple passthrough, you're golden. Adapt from 1/4" TS to 1/8" TRS and you should be good. If the DI out is only on the XLR connection, you'll have some additional adapting to do.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Thu May 14, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To correct spelling. Not that I have a bad vocabulary - it's actually pretty good. I am, however, a pretty crappy typist and I tend to leave whole words out.
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby wazdabaz » Thu May 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Low budget? Cool.
Ken...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I purchased the EBS DI a long time ago and always forget its value! You made things a lot clearer now and for this I thank you A LOT ! You made me take a look at the long forgotten manual of my EBS and found something extremely interesting in my case:

THE DIRECT INJECTION BOX MODE:
1) Connect your instrument to input A.
2) Connect to the amplifier from output LINK.
3) Set the A/B switch so that Channel A is active.
4) Set the BASS and TREBLE controls to 12 o’clock and
the BOOST to minimum position.
5) Make sure no option switches are selected into inner
position.
6) Connect to mixer from the Balanced XLR Output.
Now you have selected the active DI option with perfectly flat frequency response. Depending upon your instrument you may change the input sensitivity with the Boost control up to the choice of your own.

Never used it as a DI so I never kept in mind that I should follow this order to make it act as one! Still I am confused as to which is the DI output I should plug to my SB... The 1/4 LINK (2) or the XLR (6)?? maybe both are valid? (Note that the EBS also has a main 1/4 OUTPUT jack for instrument amp mode which is not to be used)

The Balanced XLR has 500 ohms impedance if this helps, but I can't find any info on LINK output specs.
wazdabaz

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 14, 2015 3:41 pm

wazdabaz wrote:6) Connect to mixer from the Balanced XLR Output.

This would be great if the SB had an XLR input, but it doesn't. Does it say you can connect the unbalanced output to a mixer? If so, use that and see how it goes.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby wazdabaz » Thu May 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
wazdabaz wrote: Does it say you can connect the unbalanced output to a mixer? If so, use that and see how it goes.

Ken...

Unfortunately the manual does not provide any more info than that. Since the EBShas two 1/4 outputs, one for preamp use (OUTPUT) and one that is used in the DI mode (LINK), maybe the LINK provides a di quality signal or something. I'll try this. Or maybe I should get an XLR to 1/4 jack adaptor? won't this be nice? (the soundblaster has 1/4 inputs)
thank you!
wazdabaz

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 14, 2015 8:59 pm

wazdabaz wrote:Unfortunately the manual does not provide any more info than that. Since the EBShas two 1/4 outputs, one for preamp use (OUTPUT) and one that is used in the DI mode (LINK), maybe the LINK provides a di quality signal or something. I'll try this. Or maybe I should get an XLR to 1/4 jack adaptor? won't this be nice? (the soundblaster has 1/4 inputs)
thank you!

Ah! That LINK output is probably the one to use, so long as it is NOT balanced 3-conductor TRS. If so, then a balanced to unbalanced (1/4" TS) adapter would be helpful. Some device manuals having wiring instructions on how to make adapters.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby wazdabaz » Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 am

Ken Baker wrote:Ah! That LINK output is probably the one to use, so long as it is NOT balanced 3-conductor TRS. If so, then a balanced to unbalanced (1/4" TS) adapter would be helpful. Some device manuals having wiring instructions on how to make adapters.
Ken...

I found a schematic of the EBS and as it appears, LINK is just a bypass output, not even buffered. I think that my best choice would be to use an XLR to 1/4 Mono Jack adaptor.
Thank you Ken for all the valuable info. :) :) :)

wazdabaz

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff